washing up liquids

Friend had one of those (NZ company Paykel & Fiscehel? Something like that), in fact they had two. First one died and replaced under warrantee, second one became unreliable so they binned it. Pulled it apart to investigate but never got to the bottom of anything, just seemed doomed to misbehave. One of those things full of clever ways of doing things that were just too complicated for their own good.

Reply to
Scott M

I suppose this obsession with hygiene is why a tablet of soap is never seen in the modern home. Instead you have a line of plungers to choose from, none of which produces any meaningful lather. And of course you press the plunger with the same hand you just used for something else

Reply to
stuart noble

I personally don't find much problem with visible residue on items. On the rate occasion that something does not look right you just drop it back in for the next load.

Reply to
John Rumm

John Rumm put finger to keyboard:

I'm sure dishwashers will have advanced over the years. I have seen some very poor ones though, not only failing to clean but scratching glassware over time as well. (Could be the fault of the dishwashing powder I suppose, or lack of other additives (salt?) or operator error.)

If I found washing up to be a real chore then I'm sure I would invest, but so far I have not felt the need.

Reply to
Scion

Some of the early powders were quite abrasive with a strong bleaching action as well... they could take patterns off plates, and strip guilt edges as well.

Indeed, each to their own.

Reply to
John Rumm

Nah she costs a fortune in new shoes and handbags. ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Someones boasting again :)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Agreed. We wash up things pretty quick and the drainer is emptied the next morning.

Though I quite like the idea of this.

Adrian C

The Other Mike

In article , mogga

Reply to
Richard Tobin

Reply to
mogga

Have you ever done proper washing up?

Reply to
ARW

Draining *racks* are much better than towels. By "racks", I mean plastic things that you stack the dishes [1] in, so they drain onto the board (attached to the sink). (In the old country, draining racks & slanted boards are separate items from the sink.) And sanitation requires running the draining rack through the dishwasher regularly. I've never been keen on tea-towels; I use kitchen roll to dry dishes when necessary.

[1] When I get things out of the dishwasher, the dishes (crockery) as such are usually dry --- it's the plastic containers & lids that need some time on the draining rack.
Reply to
Adam Funk

ARW put finger to keyboard:

What are you on about?

Reply to
Scion

Well when I was a student I worked in the holidays in the hospital kitchen And washing up was one of the duties. I was sent on a course to do this to make the dishes as clean and free of bugs as the dish washer should the dishwasher break down (it often did).

Draining boards of fresh paper towels were the only allowed method of driying hand washed dishes. Ideally you would need three sinkes but it could be done with one sink and three lots of water (min 75 deg for the final soak)

Reply to
ARW

ARW put finger to keyboard:

Ah I see where you're coming from. I'm not surprised they didn't let you use cloth towels to dry - that would be asking for trouble!

In which case, the only 'proper' washing up I did was when I worked in a busy pub and used the glass washing machine which took crates of 16 pint glasses at a time. I don't know what temperature the water was at but it was certainly hot enough to a) evaporate off quickly enough that drying was not necessary and b) scald you if you were careless.

Reply to
Scion

And the wierd thing is when I worked at the hospital 20 years ago I was also asked to work as a night porter. I knew every stretch of every corridor and all the undergroud ones. About 6 months ago I replaced all the light fittings in main reception at that hosptal and I could not even remember the way to the canteen (I was teaching an apprentice how to get paid for doing nothing - it was 1am and we had finished our work so I said "lets go for dinner on me, and you get paid for eating - you clock off after dinner").

Reply to
ARW