washing up liquids

Why are these liquids so concentrated ? People naturally assume they're supposed to use them at the strength supplied. Well, the manufacturers certainly want you to use them at that strength, because that way you get through them a lot quicker - so you need to buy more. But these liquids are far more concentrated than the requirement of washing dishes calls for. A perfectly clean wash can be had with the stuff diuted 10 to 1 with tapwater. And the mixing with the washing-ip bowl tapwater will be quicker too, because of the lower viscosity. So when you empty the next container, keep it and refill it with water and 10% of the liquid from that new one !

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

10 to 1? More like 100 to 1.
Reply to
stuart noble

Get a dishwasher. Cheaper and cleaner than hand dish washing.

Reply to
ARW

On Monday 02 December 2013 21:07 Jim Hawkins wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Good move - people do tend to squeeze a boatload onto a sponge to wash one mug when literally a drop would do.

It's a bit different if doing a sink full of greasy stuff - then you might actually need a good squeeze!

As they used to say: Mr Coleman makes his money not from the mustard people eat, but from what they leave on their plates!

Reply to
Tim Watts

On Monday 02 December 2013 21:25 ARW wrote in uk.d-i-y:

+1

And less boring!

And a better place to store the dirties instead of a festering mountain by the sink :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Jim Hawkins scribbled...

They've also trebled the size of the spout (!) hole in recent years. A gentle squeeze shoots out a massive load...

Reply to
Artic

Because water is heavy and expensive to transport?

Well yes,

Um, only if you're really really stupid.

I have no problem using it by the drop if required.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

+1 and earlier, in another thread, I mentioned that I use only about 30g of powder in the washing machine and get good results.
Reply to
Graham.

Don't get a dishwasher

By the time you've soaked the baked on difficult bits and then stacked the stuff in a precise manner in a dishwasher its already washed and draining.

Ten minutes later, after the worktops are wiped down and the rubbish placed in the dustbin the newly washed cutlery and crockery can be placed back in the cupboards.

Reply to
The Other Mike

Fuck that. Load the dishwasher and then press start button- you get a cleaner and a cheaper wash than hand washing.

Reply to
ARW

+1
Reply to
Bob Eager

We only use the dishwasher for more than two placesettings. Much too energy-costly to use when it's just the two of us.

Jim Hawkins

Reply to
Jim Hawkins

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 22:02:33 -0000, Artic

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

+1

One small quick squirt probably about 5 ml into the sink does the whole washing up. Just occasionally if there is a lot of oil/fat the suds will start to disappear by the end but normally they don't. Which indicates I ought to use even less...

SWMBO'd on the other hand uses huge amounts, sink more or less overflowing with suds. A bottle will last me the best part of two months, if she does a few washes it'll be half that time. B-(

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Better still, have two dishwashers, then you can have one "dirty" and one "clean" in rotation - and no need to empty one completely before loading ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

1-2ml per 1-2 gallons is about 1 in 4000.

What one would gain by diluting to 10% I cant imagine. Would it go mouldy?

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Gawd, no.

The serviced office I used to work in did exactly that - cheap cash'n'carry washing up liquid, runny as anything and utterly useless. To get _anything_ useful, you had to use about a quarter of the bottle. Total false economy.

Reply to
Adrian

Indeed. And with a half litre of a "big-name" brand costing One Whole Quid...

Reply to
Adrian

I can see one positive with diluting it in the bottle. Many people also use the washing up liquid for washing their hands in the kitchen and it is very easy to use more than needed; pre-diluting it would tend to mean less wasted.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Why stop at 2? Apart from room that is.

I have a dishwasher and wouldn't be without it. Sadly the odd thing does need handwashing cos it won't fit in.

Reply to
mogga