Vertical radiator hung horizontally

I am looking to hang a vertical radiator horizontally as I have limited space, the radiator style I would like to use is an oval tube style designer radiator, so I would like some idea on the issues I may have if any, these radiators do not have any convector fins so there is no issue there, I can't see any problem apart from the possible mounting issues, could anyone help, thanks

Reply to
Bruce

Got a picture? It would help...

Reply to
Tim Watts

In message , Bruce writes

Yes, mounting could be an issue, the main thing is the water flow. Ideally you want it plumbed like a towel rad, with the flow and return at what will be the base - if it has standard 1/2" tappings for the bleed valve then you should be ok I guess - but not all these designery rads do I don't think. And of course you need to be able to have a bleed valve at the top

. Otherwise you won't get the proper flow through the rad, and would end up with possibly ugly pipe work

I assume you have assessed if it will look ok mounted 'wrong'

Reply to
Chris French

Given TIBO (top-in, bottom-out) fitting of pipes to a radiator is quite common, I don't see the issue with flow through/across the rad.

Reply to
Fredxxx

If flow goes in at the bottom & out at top, there's no problem there. And no need for bleeding with such an arrangement.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Depends, if it's a 'designer' one turned horizontally, it might end up with vertical tubes, so the water could just flow straight up the nearest tube to the inlet and straight out, either never heating up other tubes, or taking ages.

Reply to
Andy Burns

traditional horizontal rads do much the same. Resistance to flow means at least some flow will occur in the other tubes.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Except most are plumbed bottom in, bottom out, unless by 'traditional' you mean the column variety, rather than pressed steel.

Sure, but if it's being plumbed from scratch might as well make it top in bottom out, depending on the design, it might be fully flexible on which corners he can use anyway.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I meant with standard rads most of the water flow is a short circuit, with the water flow in the columns much slower. And that's not a problem.

Better to have water in at bottom, out at top, that way its always self bleeding rather than the pump & plumbing hindering bleeding.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Except it's at odds with convection.

Reply to
Tim Watts

no it aids convection. Not that it matters, with water running through it there will be movement all over.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Provided it does not convect up one or two pipes or channels, which was the point I was making. It's always been a rule of thumb that you don't do it that way.

Reply to
Tim Watts

TIBO will result in a radiator at a more uniform temperature.

BITO will mean that most of the bottom of the radiator will stay cold, as you say where convection aids circulation at the expense of filling the whole of the radiator with hot water.

A plumber once got the TIBO the wrong way round. I can assure you that

1/2 of the radiator stayed cold, where there was a vertical column of hot water above the input, and the top of the radiator also hot as the hot travelled to the output in the shortest/most convenient path.
Reply to
Fredxxx

I don't know what you mean at all

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

TIBO or BIBO

not

BITO

Reply to
Tim Watts

Do some image searches for "FLIR radiator"

Reply to
Andy Burns

Sounds like a fine idea. But all I see is rads with problems with all patterns of connection.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr