Using plasterboard to sound-insulate a ceiling

Does anyone know what the bulding regs require re ceiling sound-insulation measures when converting a house into two flats (one up and one down)? I recall they recommended fixing plasterboard to the ceiling of the lower flat - but how many layers and of what thickness is effective?
This looks like a difficult job. Can anyone offer any tips on how to do it single-handed with as few problems as possible?
How about finishing? I am definitely not a proffessional plasterer, so what is the most cost-effective way to get a neat finish with no joins visible (and joins that won't produce cracks in the future?
In case I decide to chicken out of this job, how much would a pro charge to do two rooms, each 3m x 5m (fixing up the plasterboard and finishing - labour and materials)? (roughly)
Thank you....
Jake
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:22:35 GMT, a particular chimpanzee named snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com (Jake) randomly hit the keyboard and produced:

It needs a lot more than plasterboard on its own. See http://tinyurl.com/ohw8 for the Building Regulations requirements, and http://www.british-gypsum.com/PDF/c60_053.pdf on ways to achieve them.
If you're converting, you will need a Building Regulations application as it is a change of use. AFAIK it's also a COU under planning as well.
There's other things to consider as well. You'll need to arrange for testing of the sound insulation on completion. The means of escape may be an issue, as will ventilation, insulation, etc.

Don't do it single handed if you're not sure of the requirements.
--
Hugo Nebula
"You know, I'd rather see this on TV,

Hello, Thank you for the info on this subject. It looks incredibly complicated. Last time I asked in my local planning dept, the said all I had to do was affix a double layed of plasterboard tio the cieling IIRC. But yes, I see they have changed the rules.
What happens with places that were converted before the 2003 regs came into force? Do they all have to be changed now, to comply with the new regs?
Thanks
Jake