Plasterboard ceiling

We have had an extension built as a shell only and it is getting close to the plasterboard stage.

We want the ceiling to be 300mm lower than the roof joists which are spaced at 450mm between centres. The area is roughly 5m long by 1.5m wide.

My plan is to bolt a length of 3x2" along each length then use joist hangers to fit 3x2" cross pieces.

Does this sound like the best way to go about things? If so should I stick with 450mm centres or go for 400mm centres? Also how much should I allow for the finished thickness of the plastered ceiling - plasterboard + skim?

Sean

Reply to
Sean Delere

thats how I did my kitchen ceiling but I used 2 x 2 around the walls and

4 x 2 notched out to hang on the 2 x 2, screwed and glued.

I did mine on 300mm centres, I think.

skim coats are about 3 - 5 mm so simply add that to the depth of plasterboard you choose to use.

Reply to
.

Sean, remember that plasterboard sheets are 12.5mm. thick and 2400mm. x 1200mm. So depending which way you are going to put the plasterboard, your spacing needs to be a sub-multiple of 2400 or 1200. So 300mm or

400mm. would be best.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

Many thanks for the advice, I'll order up some suitable wood this morning.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Delere