uk-d-i-y Suggestion

"David Illingworth-Young" wrote | > uk.sci.d-i-y | Well, I'd be interested in a 'Make your own Dalek' thread.

Google "Anyone here ever built a Dalek" in March last year or thenabouts

Owain

Reply to
Owain

As I said, it wasn't meant as a rude remark directed at you, just a curious observation.

Look forward to hearing about your pipeline improvements.

Reply to
Grunff

In message , Pinot Grigio writes

You can, but we frequently get this question coming up and is met with a resounding NO

Apart from the fact that IIRC it would no longer be possible to have such names, threads intersect and change direction, and people with useful experience wouldn't necessarily visit the other groups causing a splintering of the group

On past form, you're flogging a dead horse

Reply to
raden

In message , Mary Fisher writes

A seriously fractured multiple personality ?

Reply to
raden

In message , Christian McArdle writes

Really ?

I'm still catching up on the close to 2000 posts you buggers posted while I was in Belgium !!

Reply to
raden

Get a real newsreader

It's also impossible to split uk.d-i-y. It might be _replaced_ and sliced up further, but as there's no way that the Vicar of uk.control would permit this high-level hierarchy of uk. to propagate further. It would have to end up somewhere under uk.rec.but-possibly-a-few-tradespeople-too.d-i-y.thingy

uk.d-i-y also keeps the 'Merkins out, as they don't know what DIY is.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

DIY is a 'cover all' title for a multitude of different skills in many areas - it would be daft to split it up! especially as google will search for messages of particular subjects for you.

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Why hasn't His Eminence already moved uk.d-i-y to somewhere lower down the heirarchies? Or is there a policy not to tamper on the basis of it being so difficult to stamp out usage of old groups?

David

Reply to
Lobster

That'll larn yer to go to exotic locations!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

He doesn't do it himself ...

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The Parish Council dreams of such things, but inertia is a powerful force.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Boregium? Exotic?

Graham

Reply to
graham

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Certainly better than wading through the fights and puke of Watford High Street on New Years eve

Anyway, I had to go and pick up my 500 bottles of Chimay and Rochefort ... the suspension just about survived

Reply to
raden

In article , Mary Fisher writes

Who cares?

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

In article , Anna Kettle writes

No way.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I suggest that you actually get a newsreader that works and bin the brain-dead apology for a newsreader that is Outlook Express.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I was in Belgium one New Year's Day. It was memorable for being unmemorable ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I know what you mean. The Manneken Pis is not really a landmark on the world stage, and even the Grand Place in Brussels is somewhat jaded....

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Mary Fisher writes

Ah, but I was there for the company, not sightseeing

Well, actually in a little village just outside Liege. Not even one excursion to a bar

Reply to
raden

It wasn't one of those well known places. I could look it up - but somehow I can't be bothered ... we were taken by a son. We were staying with him while he was stationed at RAF Bruggen and Belgium wasn't far away.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher