Travis Perkins delivery.

I signed up for a cash card, 'trade cash' from Travis Perkins, to get some basic costings for stuff (for example, is 1m^2 of concrete blocks cheaper or more expensive than 1m^2 of bricks)...

I note that on one part of the help, it mentions delivery. Is this only for credit account holders? As I'd like some full sheets of stuff, this would be handy, as I only have a Nissan Micra. Any thoughts?

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Yes, don't use Travis Perkins for anything, all builders merchants will deliver and all are cheaper than TP's....they lull you into having an account by special offers on your first order, after that they are often double the price of everywhre else

Reply to
Phil L

no

use TP for what you can't get in the car ?

Reply to
.

bollocks. I use 5 merchants regularly, TP are what they are, use them for what you want and use the others for what they do best/cheapest.

Reply to
.

TP's cement is a fiver a bag plus vat - this is almost double what it costs at B&Q. Their bagged aggregates are 3 quid plus VAT, again double B&Q's.

If you genuinely use 5 different BM's, you *must* know that TP's ar the dearest out of them all? - if not, you are frequenting the wrong places.

Reply to
Phil L

so, you've figured that out ?

for some things, not for others. then there's the convenience and the fact that I know the bloke on the sales counter, the bloke that chops the wood up and the manager.

I frequent all the right places.

Reply to
.

And check the price of Aquapanle at both TP and B+Q .You'll be shocked at the difference .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Not just that, their plastic underground drains are well over double the price of the next dearest and almost triple the cheapest, their bricks, plaster, plasterboard and timber don't fare too well neither, other than that it's cheap as chips.

So your reply to the OP should have been 'Travis Perkins are alright, provided you are bezzy mates with all those who work there'?

Reply to
Phil L

The message from "." contains these words:

That's true of most shopping, innit. I do get fed up with people tarring whole stores with one brush. Shop around, get the deals where you can and don't write any particular supplier off.

Except British Gas and Netto, of course (insert smiley here).

Reply to
Guy King

I got some 8x4 plasterboards from them for about 3 quid each, I thought that was cheap. And they are the only place near me who will do 4x3 in 20 foot lengths.

Reply to
R D S

Go on tell us then, save us a trip;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Travis Perkins can be the cheapest or close to for lots of things, but you do have to either haggle for every purchase, or speak in advance to the area rep and get decent prices on the things you buy regularly. Never take the initial price you are offered - it's definitely going to be too high. They will nearly always do me a better price on an order than any of the other merchants, but only if I ask for it!

auctions

From memory it's about £34 versus about £14 .

Reply to
Stuart

So what are they competitive on then?

Reply to
John Rumm

your mum

Reply to
.

We pay under =A33 inc vat at TP for cement - their pricing structure is designed to be discounted, B+Q's isn't.=20

auctions

Yes but who get's the discount . No-one want to go to an outlet not knowing if the price displayed is what they are expected to pay or if they will get a reduction if they ask or if their face fits .

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

True, but round here all builders' merchants work like that, and I haggle wherever. B+Q don't and are cheap for some things, but where they think they can get away with it they are stupidly expensive, so I don't think there's anywhere where you can assume you're getting a decent price without checking around

auctions

That sounds like list prices. I didn't think anyone paid list at TP.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

It is available to all customers.