Totally off topic call query

Hi All

As members of this group appear to know almost everything

Someone claiming to be from Revenue and Customs has called an elderly relative saying that they have won 200k in a compettion in Canada and need to pay 2k in customs fees

They say that they are based in Euston Tower London which does have a revenue office

Their number, given to my relative, is 0114 321 8010 which is a Sheffield area code

When I ring the mumber it always has a busy tone but does not sound like a uk busy tone

Absolutely sure its a scam but would like to trace them and then who to report to?

Regards

Reply to
TMC

Try giving HMR&C a call from a number in the phone book.

Reply to
James Salisbury

A quick google on the number reveals this

Rob Horton

As you have surmised it is indeed a fraud. Apart from the staggering unlikelihood of having won a competition they didn't enter you don't pay customs fees on money.

It was probably a voice over Internet protocol call which could have come from anywhere in the world and calling it could be answered anywhere in the world.

It is.

Oftel might be interested -

0114 3218xxx is owned by Gamma Telecom Holdings Ltd
Peter Parry

so end of the line I suppose

thanks for the replies

Reply to