Bit off topic; DVD Recorder query

If you have a DVD Recorder with scart am I right in thinking that if the input scart was connected to a VCR's output scart, its possible to make a dvd recording off the VCR tape?

Reply to
Gel

Yes.

You can also get combined VCR and DVD recorders

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Generally yes, it gets a bit more complex if the tape you want to copy has macrovision copy protection on it (i.e. most pre-recorded videos) though.

Reply to
John Rumm

On my JVC DVD recorder that is the case but I couldn't recommend it as it has been broken since the day I bought it and is on its second repair because the shop's "policy" (shop name withheld) is to repair 3 times before replacing/reimbursing.

I could (before it crashed) also connect my freeview box to the DVD recorder and record freeview channels. The recorder also had the ability to switch freeview channels via an infrared transmitter plugged in to it and placed in front of the freeview box.

I know you did not ask but in case it is useful to you:

o DVD-RAM disks (or internal hard disks) are the only way to watch programs you are still recording (time lapse) or to watch a program you previously recorded whilst you are recording something else. This is a great feature which persuaded me to buy it.

o When someone tells you that you can use those videoplus codes for freeview channels to record freeview channels (even though the videoplus codes are in your radiotimes) don't believe them. I never could and I asked JVC via the company who supplied my recorder and they could not give me instructions which worked.

It is a lot off topic but if you want to know more about my experiences with DVD recorders mail me off list.

Martin

-- Martin J. Evans Wetherby, UK

Reply to
Martin Evans

Probably not if its a commercial movie tape with macrovision copy protection.

john

Reply to
luggsie

I got the taste for creating scenes a few years ago. I wish I had cottoned on a lot earlier.

I went to a computer fair yesterday and got a 2 into 1 cable reducer. It is just for the twin cables off the VCR to the input jack on the soundcard. It was £1.50. A scart to USB -or whatever other port connector you can get is a lot more expensive.

Remember to reboot the machine when you have connected the VCR. I think the Add New Hardware programme has to open before it works.

Anyway, back at National Disgrace Coach despot I was finding out that the "Open ticket" I had paid extra for was in fact a "bag of czjd ticket" that should have been offered cut price.

No one told me I had to check in asap to get the bus I wanted. I had been warming my arris at the local Wine Lodge for an hour and an half so I could have easily booked in had I known.

(I doubt the man who got the brunt of it is reading this but I once more appologise to him. Sorry David, not your fault I know. B U T ..... F E C K M E !!)

THEN I FOUND OUT THE "OVER FIFTIES" "CLUB CARD" NEEDS TO BE CARTED AROUND WITH ME AT ALL TIMES TOO!!!

They were ready for me this time though and I didn't feel like fighting by then. (Two hours, some more beer and a chicken doner meat and chips later.) I just wanted to go home.

(Brooding about the way one of the bstds pointed to the small print as I gave him the ticket and got on, I thought one more swipe at the egregious bastards would have been nice!)

Get bloody well stuck in and have a go. The manager gets to have all the fun hiring and firing and he gets paid more then everyone else. Give the bugger hell!

You'll enjoy it.

Eventually.

Reply to
Michael Mcneil

They can't do that. Also since this year, the p[resumption of fault has changed. It is notw up tot the shop to prove the goods work, not up to you to prove that they are faulty.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I know that but it makes not difference if they just won't move. Last time I was in the shop I tried not to get personally insulting but perhaps failed. The "manager" (ha!) just refused to do anything other than repair it saying he was unable to do anything else. I even perhaps embarressed myself by pointing out to every one else in the shop that this was the treatment you get. I guess the manager of the shop does not care and I'll have to take legal action.

If anyone has any less drastic tactics they think might work I'd welcome them.

Of course, as a result, I cannot recommend PowerHouse to anyone.

Martin

-- Martin J. Evans Wetherby, UK

Reply to
Martin Evans

You could go through the exercise of ask for name of area manager, then managing director and write recorded delivery letters to them.

Frankly though, since the manager in the shop has made no effort to escalate the issue and refer you to somebody who can help, I wouldn't waste any more time on it. They have had plenty of opportunity.

I would contact the credit card company if you used one and report the issue to them and tell them that you are about to take legal action. Give them a few days to respond.

Then simply proceed with a small claims action in the court, You can do this easily on line.

A policy of attempting three repairs on a new product is completely unreasonable.