Recording on dvd/hd recorder

I have only recently upgraded to a dvd recorder so the technology is new to me. Up until yesterday I set recording programmes using tv guide which lists all the programmes and you just select the programme you want to record but from yesterday this function wasn't available. The instructions say this facility is sent by the broadcaster so now I have to set everything manually as with a vcr.

Any ideas what is wrong here?

Kevin

Reply to
Zen83237

Did this apply to all channels or just the one you wanted? It's not unknown for the EPG on one mux (group of progs) to fail for a while.

There's also been some changes on some transmitters recently which mean older tuners may not get the EPG correctly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

transmitter cockup? adverse weather? give it a try tomorrow it will probly have recovered has happened to our setup more than once tho only temporarily

JimK

Reply to
jim

Unplug it from the mains, wait about a minute then plug it in again. It really is true, both in computers and things like this, that a reboot really does cure 90% of all problems.

Reply to
Pete Zahut

If you had only just powered up the recorder, then it may not have had time to download the EPG (it can take several mins).

What make and model is it?

It might be worth posting your question (with the above info included) in uk.tech.digital-tv

Reply to
John Rumm

Freeview equipped PVRs seem to be particularly prone to this sort of thing. I recently upgraded my mother to one after her aging VCR finally clogged its heads once too often. The first one I got her (some "Tesco-sonic" thing) used to lock up and do odd things almost on a daily basis. Eventually, after several weeks, it got what their technical people described as "The red light of death", so they authorised a refund. I then bought her a more expensive one from John Lewis. It works fine most of the time, but on three occasions so far, it has locked up, lost its EPG, and the EPG got so slow that it was impossible to realistically navigate ... On each occasion, a full 'power off at the wall' reset, restored normal operation. Friend of mine that I do HiFi repair work for, does a lot of repairs to these things, and he said my experiences are nothing other than "typical".

Compare this to my Sky + box, which I have had for how ever many years it is now since they introduced them. I could count almost on one hand, the number of issues that I have had, and these have usually been after Sky have sent it a major software revision.

Do a full power down reset, and it will probably recover. Bear in mind though, that fully populating the EPG can take it some considerable download time, if my mother's ones are anything to go by.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Or check the Digital Spy forums which cover Sky,Sky+,Freeview etc etc .

Reply to
Usenet Nutter