Top 5 Most Dangerous Tools,

I don't start cutting 'till it is up to speed. The kick back I'm referring to is simply torque reaction. Nothing to do with cutting - it happens even with no work in place.

There's always a chance a small offcut will fly - but this can be minimised by using the correct sharp blade. And of course you do always wear eye protection?

I do indeed. But I reckon it's the safest type of power saw there is if used correctly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've had my fair share of accidents, including a very near miss with a lathe chuck - but more often than not these mishaps are due to the unpredictable nature of the material I'm working on. The reason the buffing machine fills me with dread is that you've no option but to present the work to the tool in your hands and you have to rely completely on the feel of the job against the wheel from one moment to the next. A slight increase in grip from the mop, a fraction of a degree too much or too little angle on the job - even an unexpected flaw in the material or the mop and bang!, the job's gone...and that's the best-case scenario.

Once had an interesting 10 seconds with a Dremel at 26,000 rpm and a flexible drive....

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

We all have the occasional mishap, like you say, but they are sort of expected and anticipated for, even before you begin the work. The difference, I think, is knowing what might happen, instead of the idiot who goes in blind, without any thought of what could happen.

But you decided to use the anti-biotic that the doctor prescribed, instead?

Reply to
BigWallop

Dodgy plug socket or power tool is a totally different thing from powertool user.

ie A car that has dodgy brakes and the user knows about them is bound to have an accident. A car that is fully roadworthy but the user is drunk behind the wheel shouldn't be allowed on the road.

Reply to
George

Some of the things a Dremel type was fairly useful for - like cutting a pipe etc in an inaccessible place - can be handled much more safely by a Fein Multitool. And since that reciprocates is much safer than a rotary saw or cutoff disc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Which make and model so I can avoid them?

Reply to
dennis

True, and a good point. To put it in a very British way - "When your arse doesn't clench, your finger's you'll wrench".

Aye thang yew!

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

My only near serious accident was a lathe chuck too. I was doing my O'level and had completed the the job except for a bit of knurling. I either didn't tighten the chuck enough or I pressed too hard and bang! the job went hurtling across the workshop. Still got a grade 1 after I found the job and knurled the dent out.

Reply to
dennis

You need one with soft start. Pros don't like them as it takes longer to do a cut.

Reply to
dennis

Some are more dangerous than others.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Stepping outside the front door is dangerous,everything is dangerous in one way or another but if we have our wits about us when using tools then the chances are we will come out of a job unscathed.

Touching wood, I've never to this day after 35 years of using powertools/handtools had an accident,although I have had accidents with other stuff ie cars/oven bottle bins.

Car:bonnet came down in the wind on my thumb . Oven Hot Pie contents splashed on my arm whilst taking tray of em out of oven. Used to have a job that involved hand trucking smashed bottles to the bin room,,soeties you had to spin the drums on their bottom lip to manouver themm into a line up against wall,most of tie they were over full... the rest you can figure out yourself.

Reply to
George

Again.."Some are more dangerous than others". I would allow a 5 year old to touch sandpaper but not a circular saw.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

i think ladders are the most dangerous tool i have...

or perhaps my fingers are the most dangerous, or my imagination...

Reply to
George (dicegeorge)

Oh dear.

You remind me of when the plumbers said 'that soil pipe needs to be cut off flush with the tiles' and 'we cant do it'

I am not sure where it came from, but an old rubber backed disc for sanding that goes in a drill chuck was found, plus some sort of abrasive disk, and I cobbled together something that just fitted inside the pipe and managed to gouge through it. Bloody hard to control, but it worked.

Not the cleanest cut ever made..but serviceable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Don't people look at them askance at the swimming baths?

Reply to
Huge

Chain saw on a ladder. *shudders* luckily my neighbour couldn't get it working last year - borrowed his brothers chain saw whilst he'd gone on his hols.

Reply to
mogga

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "dennis@home" saying something like:

Oh yes, and flying chuck keys from lathes were a favourite at school.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Stephen Howard saying something like:

When cleaning up a steel frame for a fishtank or similar, year ago... I lost a perfectly good pair of trousers after a drill-mounted wire brush slipped of the workpiece, got out of control and I did't let the trigger go quickly enough. Amazing how the brush snagged on the material and ripped it to shreds - I was impressed there was no skin damage at all.

Stupid thing was, I was fully aware of the dangers -ffs, I'd been working in dangerous places with dangerous machinery for years and I certainly wouldn't have done it that way at work. It was only a five minute job at home.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The only thing i've hurt myself with of late, touch wood, is a hammer drill, because I'm not afraid of it. Powering away into the brickwork, it suddenly snags on something and tries to spin my wrist thru 180 degrees.

I'd say the circular saw is the most dangerous though. It too can catch and kick, and could take off my fingers. this morning I was doing it one-handed, and using the other hand's thumb to press the guide bar tight against the wood so i'd get a perfectly neat straight cut. Not a safe way to do it. Perfect cut though.

Reply to
tonyjeffs

Dubya.

Reply to