Most Popular Plumbing Torch

Taking a poll. I am wanting to replace my old Bernzomatic torch. I want one that will handle Mapp as well as Propane for sweating copper. I hear brands like Goss, Rothenberger, Turbotorch, etc. Which brand and model seems to be the most reliable. I guess to stay away from self igniting units is a good idea. I always carry a lighter in my pocket. I think the hose type units are really convenient but $$$, unless I go with Bernzomatic. Any feedback. Thanks.

Reply to
Michael Roback

Absolutely, definitely, always go for a self lighting torch. It is safer and much more efficient. If you have to reach for a lighter every time, you tend to leave it on between joints, which wastes gas and is dangerous if knocked over or forgotten about. With trigger ignition, you don't even think about whether to turn off, you just do it. Great for lighting barbecues, too.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Think about loosing the propane torch and getting an acetylene torch instead. If you have a Northern store near you drop by. The other day I noticed that they have started selling gases (acetylene, oxygen, helium/argon shielding, etc.) Acetylene is the best gas to use for plumbing. I've had one for about 10 yrs and love it.

Boden

Christian McArdle wrote:

Reply to
Boden

FirePower or Rothenberger super fire, self igniting.

#################### Keep the whole world singing. . . Dan G (remove the 7)

Michael Roback wrote:

Reply to
Dan G

Gotta go with Boden on this one. I use the b-tank for everything, unless it's a small (one or two fitting) job. The heat is more controllable and by changing tips, can work on a wide range of pipe sizes, or braze if necessary.

Dean

Bernzomatic.

Reply to
Lori & Dean Wigmore

Mapp gas cartridges are available for the Bernzomatic torchs. Just look for the yellow ones.

Reply to
Rich Greenberg

Home Cheepo has one with a pieze ignitor. Comes with a tank of mapp for $39. I really lke it. My wholesale parts house has much the same thing, but with adjustable flame for $65.

I don't like to be fiddling with a lighter or sparker. Just pull the trigger, adn start soldering.

Mapp is also hot enough for small brazing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon