Top 5 Most Dangerous Tools,

----- Original Message ----- From: "tonyjeffs" Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y Sent: Monday, November 17, 2008 5:37 PM Subject: Re: Top 5 Most Dangerous Tools,

Many moons ago long before 'elfin safety as is, I worked during my summer vacation for a company that made laboratory furniture.

There was a young lad on 'work experience' from school who was told to clean around the spindle moulding machines. Unfortunately, he took this too literally and put his arm in a machine to remove the sawdust....you can imagine the rest :-((

Don.

Reply to
Don

Which make and model so I can avoid them?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

????

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

George W (Dubya) Bush - dangerous tool.

Reply to
Lino expert

If only.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

I don't remember that far back.

Reply to
dennis

Whoosh...

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

yes It's not the tool that is dangerous but the person using it Ive been using all of the above tools for over 40 years without once ending up in A&E The implement that almost killed me was a (very sharp) Pencil

-
Reply to
Mark

Writers cramp?

Reply to
BigWallop

No stuck it in my neck, punctured windpipe and damaged Carotid Artery.

-
Reply to
Mark

Owwww !!! How did you get her that angry? :-)

Reply to
BigWallop

I must pay more attention. I must pay more attention. I must pay more attention. I must pay more attention.

96 more....
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I wonder if it could have been a Nova wood chuck?

I had one, about 15 years ago, that suddenly disintegrated (securing bolts sheared). Fortunately I was not standing in line of any of the pieces.

The company also had dreadful customer service. They finally replaced the chuck after 8 months. By that time I had replaced it with an APTC chuck and I also discovered that the Nova had not been very precise. I had put certain inaccuracies in my woodturning down to my lack of ability; it wasn't, it was the chuck all along. The APTC one is far superior in all ways.

Reply to
Howard Neil

Whoosh.......

I meant to that post.

Reply to
dennis

My mum was a factory inspector in 1950's/1960's. Lots of investigations following accidents like that. She had a couple of leather tanneries on her patch, and part of the process there is feeding the skins through hot pressure rollers to flatten them out. One nasty case I recall her mentioning a couple of times involved a vacation student, who was the son of the best friend of the MD. He was feeding skins into these pressure rollers, making sure no creases get drawn in. The machines had guards, but the operatives normally removed them (H&S rules did exist back then, but the workforce was often ignorant of them). Just as had happened to other workers before, he got his fingers of one hand caught in the rollers, and in trying to pull them out, he got the fingers of the other hand trapped too. The result was, he lost most of his fingers. The vacation job was to earn some money during the summer before he took up his piano scholarship at Oxford (or might have been Cambridge, I forget).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I discovered by experience that mitre saws can be very violent. Didnt realise it was possible, but it is, now I never use one without eye protection, as I'm out of stock on new eyes.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Really there's lots of DIY jobs where it makes sense to use eye protection

- but few do.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Router .... that bit is going fast and no guard ...

Electric plane ... as I once passed it form one hand to other sticking finger in blade as I did it ..... was a clean cut though :-)

Sledge ... seen a few people wallop their ankles with a sledge ... makes a hell of a mess.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Some years ago, I worked with someone who had sliced off two fingers under a sledge, as a child.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

In message , Andrew Gabriel writes

I remember , as a kid, seeing someone having his knee sliced open that way

... gory it was

Reply to
geoff