1in steel BSP water pipe - can I undo this interesting joint?

Please can someone guide me on this 1" BSP steel pipe joint? I want to undo this pipework and fit a converter to 22mm copper and then go back to 1" BSP again and reconnect. I can then branch off other feeds from the 22mm copper.

For screwed stell pipework like this I would expect to start at one end of the run and unscrew the joints one by one. But this particular (photo) joint looks as if it is designed to enable me to break in here. It that so?

looks as if the long thread to the left might be untapered and long enough that you can unscrew the nut and then then unscrew the longer coupling bit onto the left thread separating the coupling from the tapered thread on the right and so breaking into the pipe run at this point.

Have I guessed thi scorrectly?

BTW, this is on the incoming water main of the house.

thanks for any help people can offer,

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

It certainly *looks* as if that's the intention - although how easily it will undo after years of rust and rock-hard Boss White, I don't know! [If they wanted it to split at this point, surely a Crane joint would have been more sensible?]

If all else fails - since you're apparently replacing this section of pipe anyway - you could simply saw through the pipe and unscrew it from the next joint along in each direction.

Are you *sure* that it's 1" BSP - bearing in mind that the the 1" refers to the nominal bore, so that the OD would be much more than 1"? For example,

3/4" BSP has an OD of just over an inch. What's the actual OD of the exposed threads?
Reply to
Roger Mills

Indeed: it's a long screw (fnaar, fnaar!)

Job for the F.O.G. Stilsons - a pair of 24" if that's 1" pipe

Reply to
YAPH

It is a running joint. Grab hold of the straight connector very tightly with your slitsons and try to undo the lock nut with a rigid spanner. But it looks like boss white thread stop, so it might need a couple of taps with a chisel to free it. Once the lock nut is out of the way, the connector should screw along the pipe and break apart the joint.

And make sure it is the water supply pipe and not the gas supply pipe.

Reply to
BigWallop

ide quoted text -

Thank you all. I'll give it a try but cut the pipe as a last resort.

I am pretty sure it is water- there's a gate tap a little upstream. It is 1" BSP, I measured the OD of the threads at about 31-33mm and that seems to be about right.

Must dig out my big stilsons...

Robert

Reply to
RobertL

Fair enough. In that case, should you be piecing in a length of 28mm copper rather than 22mm?

Reply to
Roger Mills

particular

longer

tightly

spanner. But

connector

pipe.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you all. I'll give it a try but cut the pipe as a last resort.

I am pretty sure it is water- there's a gate tap a little upstream. It is 1" BSP, I measured the OD of the threads at about 31-33mm and that seems to be about right.

Must dig out my big stilsons...

Robert

AWEM (who has)

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

In message , Roger Mills writes

NAh - you want Drivel and his hacksaw on that

Reply to
geoff

That's no use - his hacksaw only cuts plastic pipe!

Reply to
Roger Mills