does anyone have any "popular mechanics" from the 50's?

Hi all, I'm looking for a special edition of "popular mechanics" that featured an article with blueprints and all to make a stradivari violin (Messiah it was called) i know for sure that it was in the 50's, but that kind of stuff is impossible to find these days. any pointers would help...thanks

Reply to
jeff

Jeff,

Try ebay. My cousin once found a 1944 issue of Life Magazine there that had special interest to her.

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Jeff asks:

Might be...try your local library. At worst, they'll have PM on microfiche, which you can search manually (you'll get the hang of it, and it's not as bad as it seems, though it won't go down as competition for a tight ball game). Some libraries may have it on computer these days.

Charlie Self

"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

[24241] Reid, Joseph V.. You Can Make a Stradivarius Violin. Chicago: Popular Mechanics, 1955. Pictorial Cover, HB. Near Fine / No Jacket. 48 pgs., near perfect copy, violin plans in front pocket

$45.95

Tom Thomas J. Watson-Cabinetmaker Gulph Mills, Pennsylvania

Tom Watson

Tom Watson responds:

to 46 bucks. Five or six, sure. That must have been an amazing issue. I probably bought it, back then, though I was making the transition to Hot Rod with great rapidity by that time.

Charlie Self

"If a politician found he had cannibals among his constituents, he would promise them missionaries for dinner." H. L. Mencken

Reply to
Charlie Self

Are you looking to make a Violin ?????

Reply to
George M. Kazaka

Good luck with the Strad replica. The controversy of what makes them so sweet goes on and on. If you are attempting to make one, I'm sure you've done a lot of reading. There is an interesting article a recent magazine, but I don't recall where I read it. Maybe someone else here can help.

The story was on a soldier that was in WWII in Italy. They had to destroy a

500 year old monastery to oust the enemy. He brought home a piece of very old wood (500 years IIRC) and used it to make a violin. It was his best work ever and it was stolen and never recovered. Ed
Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
jeff

Reply to
jeff

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

It's *NOT* impossible to find.

But, it takes a trip to the library.

The reference dept will have a series of books called: "The Readers Guide to Periodical Literature"

Which lists _every_ article in every mainstream magazine -- by title, and cross-references by subject.

You may have to check a couple of dozen volumes, typically each one is only a 6-month span.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

It is also available in book form. Here is one on eBay for ten bucks so far:

DT