Tiling a small bathroom. *Taste* question

That's a man for you!

One day they'll evolve into a state where they can make decisions.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Why?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" typed

You haven't *seen* Guy laugh then...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

"Mary Fisher" typed

I know nothing about tiling, but at a guess:

1) They can make the room look small 2) They will be more costly than small tiles and a high proportion will need to be cut. Tile cutting is not always successful resulting in a high wastage of pricy tiles.
Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

Hello HDV, YMMV but IMO MF is a fisher of goats, if you twig.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Chris Bacon typed

I twig, I bite bait occasionally, I have fun on Usenet...

Reply to
Helen Deborah Vecht

LOL! No thanks :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Well, if they have large patterns perhaps - but that would apply to small ones too. I admit I was thinking of the type we've just added to (eek! I hear the calls) our existing small tiling. They're virtually plain white and not noticeable.

In my experience if you have a decent tile cutter it's not a problem, Spouse wasted one tile of ours. But if you have smaller tiles there will be more to cut and therefore, surely, there's more risk of more tiles being miscut.

We were given our tiles, we used some for behind the cooker, thatwas definitely desirable. The rest went to protect the (painted) wall next to the shower. Not that it needed protection, that wall hasn't suffered in thirty years of being sprayed during a family of seven having showers. It just seemed a waste not to use the remaining donated tiles.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

What is the floor covering, if the floor is tiled then I would take the wall tiles to the floor. If wood or vinyl then I would think a skirting necessary to trim the edges.

Reply to
DJC

What you need is an electric tile cutter...;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In article , EricP writes

I opted to go right to the floor (30s semi) as the new suite and fittings were modern, and I was aiming for the continental look. The floor is also tiled. The wall tiles are broken up with a strip of listello tiles to stop the room looking too stark.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Or a cowboy.

Reply to
Guy King

As other people have commented, they tend to make a small room look even smaller and tend to be far more problematic getting around those small spaces, lots of tile cutting and potential waste. It can look downright silly having a big tile needing to be cut to accommodate a small space. I think that when looking at a tiled room the impression you want is of a regular pattern of tiles rather than a lot of tiles in irregular shapes (unless that irregularity is by design) due to having to fit around obstacles in a confined space.

On the tiling front I'd say that tiling small bathrooms is probably harder than tiling large ones and tiling small bathrooms with big tiles is probably harder still to get it looking good.

Saying all that, I'm sure as in everything, that there are exceptions that go against the general rule.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Andrews

In my small bathroom I did skirting to match the rest of the rooms on that floor (6" ogee), and a made up some 1/2" scotia to use as a very small cove.

Both were applied after the tiles, which ment I could choose where to start the bottom row of tiles to get the best placement of the listello tiles at dado height, and saved a bit of time by not needing to fill in the small rips of tile that would have otherwise been left visible top and bottom. I also siliconed the tile skirting join.

Reply to
John Rumm

Why keep a dog and bark?

Reply to
John Rumm

Fine - if you don't complain about the barking :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from "Mary Fisher" contains these words:

Have you /been/ to Barking? Plenty to complain about.

Reply to
Guy King

Not knowingly. It's in thes**th, innit?

Mind you,we're going to Essex tomorrow ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Homeward bound......