Things down toilets

Too true! Mate works for Monument Tools, well known purveyors of quality drain unblocking kit. Some research he saw said that 85% of drain blockages were 'paper based'.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Organic matter and bacteria thriving on it cause the smells. Bleach removes them. In soft water areas you don't get limescale.

Limescale remover can be useful at removing the build up from urine splashes. It is then more effective than bleach.

Both bleach and limescale remover have their uses.

I found the latter was very effective at removing the condensate stains (from my boiler when warming up) on brickwork.

Reply to
<me9

Lid removed from junction of toilet and drain together with one poo and a wad of wet wipes. Yes I known what should and should not be flushed, but with two small kids and one 'Oh husband will fix it' wife total control cannot always be maintained. Who am I kidding I'll haven't any control in this house. Mike

Reply to
Mike

records a 10% rise in blockages in 2004, and attributes it to luxury loo paper (among other things, including wet wipes).

Btw I agree entirely about the bleach.

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

Wet wipes are a no no but the suposedly flushable "can do" wipes had (have?) a problem as they don't break up fast enough. This is probably why the the ad for the flushable bog brush shows it breaking up, to ally peoples fears generated by the "can do" problems.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice