Is it normal to come down poorly after a move?

Right up until I moved in, after months of hassle, I felt fine. Despite all the problems, nightmares, even, with selling my house and getting completion on this one I never went came down with anything. Then the day after I moved in, just after Christmas, I got the worst bout of flu I can remember. Days in bed, felling close to death. I'm still getting over it and feeling not 100% by any chalk. I reckon the body (or the mind, or both) saves up our infections for us until it feels we are in a situation where we can more easily cope. Hey, and I have been the one going around telling people how I haven't had a cold or the flu for YEARS!

MM

Reply to
MM

"MM" wrote | Right up until I moved in, after months of hassle, I felt fine. | Despite all the problems, nightmares, even, with selling my | house and getting completion on this one I never went came | down with anything. Then the day after I moved in, just after | Christmas, I got the worst bout of flu I can remember.

(a) Moving is one of the three most stressful experiences so your body's immuse system will be weakened, and the adrenaline or whatever that keeps you going stops (b) If you move to a new locality you expose yourself to all the local germs your body hasn't got immune to before (c) There's a lot of it about anyway

Owain

Reply to
Owain

My wife invariably succumbs to a migraine when she takes a holiday. Seems that she can cope with stress of running a business and doing the work for her clients in a, typically, 08:00 - 22:00 day without any coincidental ill-effects. But as soon as she stops - WHAM. The solution seems to be to take an activity holiday where she is not able to just sit and veg.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Stress hormones are strange things, long term they are corrosive, short term they have protective effects, including boosting immune performance. But like revving a car at max all the time is not good neither is stress. You got ill because you were susceptible but having moved, your protective stress hormones fell and you became vulnerable to all those things your immune system had been keeping a lid on, just.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

May be the stress. My dentist told me she often gets patients coming in with screaming abscesses and the like, when they have been stressed out.

Regards, VivienB

Reply to
VivienB

Are you being exposed to more natural gas than before? I have heard that the odourants (mercaptans, methyl sulphide etc) in gas can cause problems for some people.

Markus Splenius

No, I just think it's mainly what the others have been saying. Somehow the body/mind knows it has a new pad to work out of, and it's like saying, eat up, yer at yer granny's! And I am highly sensitive to stress anyway.

MM

Reply to
MM

3 colds in 6 months... almost unheard of for me. But if you have kids and they mix with a new batch of kids there are all those new germs to get. Where I got the chickenpox from is not known though - no one locally we know has it nor any at school - so maybe someone on the bus one day.
Reply to
mogga