Things down toilets

I have just come home after 4 days away for SWMBO to tell me the toilet was blocked with the plastic lid from a box of wet wipes. The whole thing have to come out, a very yucky job. Thank god that I'll not a plumber, if I had to do that for a living.

Mike Cole

Reply to
Mike

But a plumber would have earned £300 from the experience.

sponix

Reply to
Sponix

Or more likely, earned £300 from the job he did instead while promising to phone back about the blocked bog real soon now!

Reply to
John Rumm

spot on.

shame tradesmen don't have the balls or good manners to simply and politely say 'thanks for your call but I don't want the job, sorry'

Reply to
.

Not a nice job, buy her some rubber gloves.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Heh! how is it that you're toilet is "yucky" for want of a better phrase?

Mines clean as a whistle, must be the bleach now and again.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You shouldn't put "wet wipes"[1] down the pan at all, let alone the box or lid!

[1] Nor cotton buds, baby wipes, insanitary towels etc., "Bounty" kitchen paper, or anything like.
Reply to
Chris Bacon

I note that you say "bleach" - Some of the highly coloured thick toilet cleaners are a total waste of time and money. Nothing beats Domestos in my opinion.

John

Reply to
John

Yup, does what it says on the lable. A good squirt or two down the lav and left overnight, beats the S*ht out of it. ;-)

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I use cheap bleach which comes in 5 litre containers for half the price of a bottle of domestos. It's more cost effective, and usable for more things!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

The presence of some of these things in the house may also indicate the presence of small people. Alas these can be far more adventurous when it comes to working out just what will and will not flush!

Reply to
John Rumm

That's why I stick to nothing, rather than your opinion ;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The solution is to flush the little bastards down themselves.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The Natural Philosopher typed

Doesn't work.

Helen Deborah Vecht

Pet Rant Mode

Bleach does not clean toilets!

The inside surface of a toilet bowl is a highly smooth ceramic, to which germs & bacteria cannot stick, so when you flush all the nastys get flushed away. OK there may be some bits that need a brush.

What causes stains & smells in the bowl & bend is limescale. This builds up and because its a rough surface the bacteria can lodge there & fester unaffected by the flush.

Bleach will not remove limescale, it kills the resident bacteria until the toilet is used again and 'bleaches' the colour out of the stains so you cant see them for a while.

Acid based limescale remover is the answer. Used once or twice a week keeps the limescale away and solves the problem!

Pet Rant Mode

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

It does, you know...

Umm..

Yup.

What about in areas where there isn't any limescale buildup?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

|The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote: | |> Mines clean as a whistle, must be the bleach now and again. | |Pet Rant Mode | |Bleach does not clean toilets! | |The inside surface of a toilet bowl is a highly smooth ceramic, to which |germs & bacteria cannot stick, so when you flush all the nastys get flushed |away. OK there may be some bits that need a brush. | |What causes stains & smells in the bowl & bend is limescale. This builds up |and because its a rough surface the bacteria can lodge there & fester |unaffected by the flush. | |Bleach will not remove limescale, it kills the resident bacteria until the |toilet is used again and 'bleaches' the colour out of the stains so you cant |see them for a while. | |Acid based limescale remover is the answer. Used once or twice a week keeps |the limescale away and solves the problem! | |Pet Rant Mode

Unless you live in a soft water area, when you don't have problems with limescale.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

So your mine is a clean as a whistle. What about your toilet? I would have thought that a member of the HairySockRatty would have known better. Why to you put bleach down your mine?

R.

Reply to
Richard A Downing

I'll have some of what he's on?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

I'd give it a go with a toilet auger first: might be able to drag it out with that.

Reply to
John Stumbles