Synthetic fuel from green energy - News

Hence my "spit".

Although Windows no longer requires them and can mount filesystems anywhere in the directory hierarchy, just like real operating systems, but apparently no Windows user knows about that - not even the ones who support the ~260,000 desktops at work.

Reply to
Huge

My university is actually researching exactly that.

Its a very interesting technique. Because what actually happens is that when the coal is burnt with just the oxide, what you get out is white hot metal and pure carbon dioxide, Which is a lot easier to take out of the flue than a mixture of it with nitrogen and oxygen which is what burning coal in air gives.

Then the white hot metal is sprayed with air in a separate chamber, turning it back to oxide, and removing oxygen from the air in the process, but adding no CO2, and the white hot oxide is fed back to the coal combustor again.

For technical reason, this is actually more efficient than burning coal in air.

As the engineer who was involved said 'we told them it was about carbon capture to get the grant, but really its about more efficient coal power stations'...:-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That's very interesting. Are there any papers published that might be available on the 'net and not behind a paywall? (I'm interested because some 25 years ago, before I retired, I ran a project on the simultaneous carbothermal reduction and nitriding of an aluminosilicate mineral to make a SiAlON, using a fluid bed running at

1500°C).
Reply to
Chris Hogg

Yes there are but I've lost the links.

Try a google on something sensible like 'metal oxide combustion'

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Exactly my point

Reply to
bert

QDOS from Seattle Computer Products - it was a fairly closely based on CP/M 86

Reply to
John Rumm

The key thing about Visicalc was that it sold the microcomputer concept to business. Enthusiasts would have bought the machine anyway - but business needed a reason.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, but VisiCalc wasn?t the only reason, particularly with small business.

Reply to
Simon Brown