Synthetic Stucco

We are thinking of doing the Synthetic Stucco ? EIFS. It seems to be the hot item for a maintenance free exterior finish. Live in upstate NY, and have a home with stone and cedar shake. Will remove cedar add house wrap and foam. (maybe it could add R value). Then install stucco. Have read horror stories of moisture and rot behind this product. I?m thinking without the proper installation any siding could cause rot. Has anyone worked with this EIFS on a residential building? What?s the best way to work up to a soffit or window? Or terminate at the stone edge? The install examples rely a lot on caulking. This seems weak? I know you need to be trained to install the product.

Thanks TP

info & definitions: Exterior Insulation and Finish Systems (EIFS)

TP

Is this stuff even still legal? I think it made a lot of lawyer types rich down here in New Jersey.

EIFS traps moisture, and rots the wood underneath (above link in a nutshell). Unless they've gotten better at it (or got better lawyers. :+(

Jim

TP wrote:

Reply to
Jim

Great idea if you want to destroy the value of your home.

Reply to
Art