OT Interesting bit od history. Jerry can.

I do remember English petrol cans still in use in the 50's on farms. Built like a squat oil can with a brass cap and flat sides. Smaller and flimsy compared to the jerry version.

Reply to
therustyone

Interesting thank you. It is surprising how difficult it was to make people see the advantages.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Vinzenz Grünvogel, who designed the can, was a friend of my partner's family and she met him a few times.

The British wartime petrol tin was a flimsy rectangular container, intended to be disposable. In the Western Desert, Steven Sykes, part of the camouflage section, used large numbers of them to simulate railway lines for a dummy railhead, which the Germans bombed.

Reply to
Nightjar

I have one still in use. Not sure if it is original as I can't remember where I bought it. It has the locking cap and the air tube but I never got a spout with it. It pours quite cleanly without a spout thanks to the air tube.

Reply to
fred

I've got three red, white, and green. Yeah OK 20 l of green isn't legal BWTH.

These are all modern ones, local garage and Machine Mart I think. Locking cap, I shall have to check for air tube I think they have it. I only ever use them to top up vehicles so always use a spout, that has an air hole and tube but still bubbles and glugs.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

On the manufacturer's jerrycan.com website.

Their claim; " The only real and legal WWII NATO jerry cans in the United States. If it's not made by Wavian..It's Fake." is a bit ironic, given that they were copied from the German originals.

Surely they're all fake, unless made by genuine Jerries (or Jerries' slave labour).

Reply to
amcmaho

and NATO wasn't co-incident with WW2. It came into being just under 4 years after the end of WW2.

Reply to
charles