Synthetic fuel from green energy - News

So it isn't a copy.

I never said it was the real invention, just that open source was a significant advance on what was there before.

Never said it was.

Still a significant improvement on what preceded it.

We weren't discussing key breakthroughs.

That is just plain wrong with DNA alone.

We weren't discussing true breakthroughs most obviously with viable flying machines.

Just as true of the wheel, aircraft, cars, the internal combustion engine, steam engines, etc etc etc.

It is what sets it apart from the other OSs available.

It is on open source alone.

Reply to
Simon Brown

This was being tested at Cambridge in 1962! The relevant professor bemoaned the fact that the cheapest commodity in the aviation industry was concrete.

Reply to
charles

They didn?t attract finance to do that.

And it wasn?t a toy either.

Reply to
Simon Brown

I don't know when it was, but I do know that, in one set of trials, an Airspeed Oxford was fitted with an auxiliary engine to run the pump. The idea was revived again in the 1990s, but for supersonic aircraft.

Reply to
Nightjar

The aptly named lift dependent drag, which, for a given amount of lift, can still be reduced by techniques, such as achieving laminar flow over the lifting surfaces. However, any that does not produce lift is parasitic drag and the aircraft would be better off without it.

Reply to
Nightjar

On 29/04/2015 18:20, Dave Plowman (News) wrote: ...

The earliest experiments used gunpowder.

Reply to
Nightjar

The Cambridge work used an Auster as the airframe.

Reply to
charles

Its actually very much less, Linux is just a copy of the Unix kernel, all the specifications of Unix were public at the time so it was relatively easy to build a copy..

Reply to
dennis

8<

Name another one that was worth buying at that time.

Reply to
dennis

It looks like the Unix kernel, it quacks like the Unix kernel, its a copy. You do know linux is only the kernel?

The open source software written to use Linux is quite capable of running on other OSes, you don't even need Linux to run the majority of it (although many of the utilities don't make much sense on some OSes).

Reply to
dennis

I'd go with useful advance. Not significant breakthrough.

Reply to
Tim Streater

You kept saying what he did was a significant breakthrough. Stop wriggling and trolling.

Reply to
Tim Streater

It took his reply with that string of denials to make me realise he was just trolling. I've now KF'd him. With luck, he'll do the same to me!

Reply to
Chris Hogg

No, on the open source alone.

No it is not.

Its gone on from that to much more than that.

Reply to
Simon Brown

Plenty just used what it came with and never used VisiCalc at all.

Reply to
Simon Brown

Not given what has changed since then.

Its much more complicated than that, particularly with what is used on smartphones.

I wasn?t talking about that, I was talking about the open source Linux.

Reply to
Simon Brown

What's changed in the kernel used on PCs that makes them not a copy of Unix?

You will find they use kernels based on Linux, i.e. not linux but some derivative that has different memory management, etc.

8<

So you are only talking about a kernel, what use is that, it doesn't do anything useful, its the other stuff like ed, vi, gnome, etc. that does useful stuff and that isn't Linux and doesn't need Linux.

Reply to
dennis

VisiCalc was a significant breakthrough with how things were done before it.

Reply to
Simon Brown

No I didn?t, I said that he did what he did in his shed/garage.

Reply to
Simon Brown

I wasn?t talking about just the kernel.

Still comes from Linux.

No, the totality of Linux and the derivatives.

what use is that, it doesn't do

It is in fact much more complicated than that, particularly with what is used on smartphones.

Reply to
Simon Brown