Stupidness at the rubbish dump

My single bed was gone within an hour of posting

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I got a brand new bath, some shopping and my wife in a ford escort once. With all the doors, boot and windows closed! And she was sitting in a seat, wearing a seatbelt (the wife, not the bath).

Reply to
chunkyoldcortina

I drove one once, it wasn't too bad. Power-to-weight ratio, I guess.

Reply to
chunkyoldcortina

They are quick enough to leave the boy racers wondering what engine you have inside. They don't handle very well so don't try and use the power they have.

Reply to
dennis

In message , The Medway Handyman writes

FFFFReenchhh

Reply to
Clint Sharp

Current production Smart is 0-60 in 16.2 or 12.9 seconds depending on engine. (Not the Brabus or the Turbo)

Last year's Fiesta 1.25 (hardly a hot car) is about 14 seconds.

And a quick dig suggests the Ford is a little cheaper, despite the extra seats.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

0-60 is irrelevant around town.

That doesn't surprise me, costs more than my car though. I would not buy a smart, I don't like them.

Reply to
dennis

Ah, that's the price you pay for living in the middle of nowhere... You could always apply to Freecycle to start a new group?

Reply to
Anne Welsh Jackson

In message , "dennis@home" writes

No its not - you might be the doddery old fart in front of me

Reply to
geoff

0 - speed limit may be relevant, 0 - 60 is useless marketing hype for idiots.
Reply to
dennis

In message , "dennis@home" writes

60 mph - NSL achievable down any side street 0 - 60 is a benchmark

as a rule of thumb, if it has a better 0 -60, it has a better 0 - 30 performance, isn't it you doddery old fart

but then it's only a speed limit, and it might be you in front of me

Reply to
geoff

Well if its you behind I will have to slow down. Its always best to slow down when you have an idiot behind you. I usually manage to time it so they are passing a camera when they decide they are going to zoom past. Then they have to do it all again after the next island or traffic lights.

Reply to
dennis

But Clarkson, the little guy and the haystack talk about 0-60 ad infinitum! :-)

Reply to
dave

Where would we be without rules eh?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ad nauseam more like!

Don

Reply to
Cerberus .

Reply to
dennis

Its a very good indicator of usable power to weight ratio. And to an extent, traction.

Apart from gear ratio issues,thats a measurement that applies to any acceleration including overtaking.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
8<

Not at all. Considering how many they break doing 0-60 tests it isn't a good indication of anything useful. You certainly can't use it as an indicator to how it would behave on the road.

"Oh dear I pulled out in front of the truck knowing that I could get to 60 in 4.5 seconds but something broke just before it hit me."

Reply to
dennis

Can you elaborate on that?

Reply to
PM

I've seen a standard sized chest freezer transported 30 miles in the back of a Fiesta. (Well, around two thirds was actually _in_ the car)

Reply to
PM