Stupidness at the rubbish dump

From

"A Smart car is capable of towing up to 500kgs quite happily and TUV type approval has been obtained for the fortwo towbar. Available for all fortwos including the Brabus "

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I use the dump (recycling centre!) by Stirling all householders are given a card, and it appears as long as you have that they accept nearly anything, a

7.5 tonner maybe pushing your luck a tad!! My mate who goes to one in an adjoining county had great problems with one particular jobsworth employee, but when he went the problems stopped.

Recycling is a good idea, but it has to be made easy otherwise human nature will allways take the easy (cheap) route which means layby etc..

Des

Reply to
Dieseldes

Common Sense: (circ on internet)

'Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as: Knowing when to come in out of the rain; why the early bird gets the worm; Life isn't always fair; and maybe it was my fault. Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

His health began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6-year-old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer sun lotion or an Aspirin to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement.

Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his two sons, Reason and Justice.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers; I Know My Rights, I Want It Now, Someone Else Is To Blame, and I'm A Victim.

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing.'

Reply to
John

This is a nice little council muddle

on the left says this site is a legitimate garden waste dump, but only at certain times, on certain days, at certain times of the year, and only when the the council dust cart is present. Sign on the right suggests that getting it wrong could be costly. You can see what the public makes of it

Reply to
stuart noble

It seems to work wuite well at our local tip. Even bought a few dining chairs there when we needed extra for a large family gathering.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net...

I have to say that is my experience in Suffolk too, sometimes with a biggish trailer too, last time was with chunks of old portakabin.

Reply to
tinnews

Right, thanks. I stand corrected. I look after one of these dismal objects for a relative, and I obviously remembered wrongly or read out-of-date information. I can't see his 600cc object pulling the skin off a rice pudding, and the thing would probably stop completely to change gear going up a slight slope.

Reply to
Kevin Poole

There's a nearby local authority who do just that - and quite successfully, ISTR...

Frank Erskine

Smart car OK (but not the wonderful Prius (apparently) - the drive system is tightly defined and doesn't include towing loads).

I would imagine the OP will have a small trailer and small loads and no big hills, so will probably be OK.

The towbar complete kit for the smart car is £320 which aint cheap though!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

I can see what Photoshop makes of it. You can't be imprisoned for five years for dumping garden waste, not even in the commons (maybe the palace?).

Reply to
dennis

one of the reasons i'm going for the diesel version, the nottingham smart centre has a trailer shaped like a stretched smart, 4 wheeler of the type with a wheel on each corner and a pivoting drawbar,

a petrol smart pulls that fine, but we are talking about the newer ones, the earliest ones had the 600cc engine, they are now approching 1 litre, and still turbo charged and all that.

Reply to
gazz

Are you talking about the diesel smart of the petrol one?? i know the petrol ones do about 55mpg, but the diesel ones can do upto 90, with people regulary reporting very near that figure on the smart forums, only downside if you call it that is the diesel for two's are only available in left hand drive imported from abroad,

not fussed about going fast of quick in a cage, i have my motorbike if i want to get anywhere in a hurry, get about 50mpg from it no matter how i ride it, but it is only a little 650 transalp, can get another 10 mpg out of it if i cut the damn cat out of the exhaust, it's not the ceramic type, but the oxidysing type, gasses are forced through very small holes which heats the gas up a lot, but it knocks 10mpg off the thing, will do that when i get round to getting some stainless steel wire for my welder.

Reply to
gazz

Quick, someone tell ebay.....

Matt

Reply to
matthew.larkin

No editing, I can assure you

Reply to
stuart noble

Someone has, what ever i search for nowadays i just get shops selling new stuff at the price you can get them for at a real shop, but then have to pay postage and deal with the hassle when it turns up dammaged.

Reply to
gazz

You need to be careful of that then, different laws apply to close coupled trailers and articulated trailers. (A close coupled trailer is the common type with the wheels in the middle.) You may need a HGV license to pull it.

Reply to
dennis

Must be petrol then, its RHD. I know it uses more fuel than I expected.

Its a ceramic one, just don't hit the ground too hard or it will break. I can't see how they would make a non ceramic CAT cheap enough to fit a bike unless it just isn't a CAT. You need surface area, lots of surface area while still being able to support the very thin layer of catalyst at a high temperature so metal is out of the question ( maybe tungsten if you could machine the many holes?).

Reply to
dennis

Most of the stuff on eBay isn't secondhand incase you haven't noticed.

Reply to
dennis

Our local Freecycle group has four or five times as many 'offered' as 'wanted' and I've ended up dumping perfectly useful stuff that no one will take for free. Currently on offer, 2 x L-shaped desks and other office furniture, no takers so far

Reply to
Tony Bryer

That doesn't mean it's a bad business model, just bad management.

I'll let the nice people at ebay know...

I think it would take me rather a long time to list it all, but if you're interested you can always browse through my assorted posts to various newsgroups in which you'll find mention of many items ( IT kit, gardening equipment, musical kit, Hi-Fi, photography, domestic appliances, tooling etc. etc. ).

Recent best buys include a Billingham camera bag for a fiver, a Cluson CB2 for same, a Thinkpad T23 for a tenner ( XP Pro licenced ) and a BMW 525TDS for £150 taxed and MOT'd...though I didn't get that at the tip. Bought a nice moulded suitcase with wheels and a retractable handle today for £3.

Amusingly enough, all the kit used to send this message ( save for the mo'board and main hard drive ) came from the tip.

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard