stripped victorian pine doors

have just spent time stripping and sanding some old victorian pine doors. they are now looking good but i have yet to apply the varnish. i tried some of the " dry clear " stuff but it still seems to darken the wood. any other finishes i could try? any advice gratefully received.

Reply to
mark al

The best thing I've found is clear wax. You put it on (it's solid in the tin and melts on application) with fine wire wool, then buff and repeat. It comes in smallish tins (I get mine in B&Q). It doesn't change the colour of the wood, just brings out the grain and gives a lovely sheen.

Regards

Jeremy Smith

Reply to
Jeremy Smith

Wipe with white spirit. That is how a genuinely clear finish will look. If it's still too dark, you would have to bleach the wood to get a paler look. The 2 part bleaches from Rustins etc are very effective.

Reply to
stuart noble