'Old Pine' stain for new doors

I'm in Scotland and have a cottage with old pine doors which have mellowed over a lot of years to soft honey colour. These are bar and batten doors (planks held togther with 3 straps) and I need to replace two of them because they have twisted over the years (no it's not CH, they were twisted before I installed that). What suggestions can be given for the type of pine I should use and the appropriate finish.

Sometime last year I stayed in hostel in the northwest of Scotland and the woodwork was exactly what I was looking for - because the wood was so low in knots I wondered whether it was 'white' wood that had been stained and sealed in some way - but with what?

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Rob, you might try to contact the hostel and find out what they used. It was probably a local craftperson who may be willing to share his"secrets".

Even if you have to buy him a drink or so!!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I'm wondering if repair might do instead of a replacement. Can you take down two doors and have enough good wood to replace at least one?

Reply to
Ed Clarke

OK - I was trying to keep the post simple and not mention that all the facings and skirtings need doing for 4 doors and 18 feet of passageway.

Dismantling the doors would be an interesting option, particularly as the 'craftsperson' who made them used a large number of nails to compensate for no cross braces.

I liked the idea of contacting the possible craftsperson but the hostel is 250 miles away and was part of a large hotel - more than likely no one would have clue who did the work let alone what I was talking about.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Ok, so this is more than repair two doors. To really help you, we'd need some good photographs of the existing color and wood on a web site somewhere.

Reply to
Ed Clarke