Can you remove/reduce the orange colour of pine which has aged a while?

Hi, I'm trying to find a fireplace secondhand on Ebay and would like the wooden surround to roughly match the stripped pine doors. However it's proving very difficult to find one I like which hasn't been stained or if unstained, doesn't have a very orange tinge.

If pine is unstained but orange in colour is there any way to reduce or remove this colour, ie make it paler/whiter? Thanks.

Reply to
jgkgolf

Never tried it but...

The Medway Handyman

Thanks Dave. Would I get the same result by having the wooden surround dipped/stripped?

Reply to
jgkgolf

You can burn it or cover it in paint.

Both recommended.

;-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Two part bleach works well on bare timber, and will also sort of work where the existing finish is oil or wax based. Won't work at all on a polyurethane finish though. Caustic dipping will help kill the orange but, again, not on a polyurethane finish. Part 1 of the above bleach is a strong alkali anyway, but part 2 (peroxide) is what lightens the wood.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thanks Stuart.

I've seen a fireplace I really like on Ebay but the owner isn't sure if the finish it has is polyurethane (lacquer?) applied by the manafacturer which is non-removable or if it is Varnish which would be removable. Is there any easy way of knowing which it is?

Reply to
jgkgolf

One thing I found when experimenting with staining what is laughing called 'red pine' nowadays for skirting and door facings was to stain the wood light pink - Red Mahogany stain 'watered' down, and then use 'Light Oak' stain over that. It gave the wood I had an acceptable match to old pine doors that had developed a natural soft-set honey colour.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

That is surprising. Vandyke crystals is the usual way because of the depth and the dullness of the colour. It has a mauve hue, rather like garnet shellac. Orange plus mauve equals brown I guess...

Reply to
Stuart Noble