Stripped gears on Bosch hedgetrimmer

The wife's set of hedge trimmers have had the gears stripped through repeated jamming on branches which are too thick for the trimmer.

Here's a pic.

What's the likelihood of a DIY repair?

Cheers!

Matt

Reply to
larkim

Virtually nil I should say. Even if parts are available, they'll cost an arm and a leg.

Punish them by never buying that make again.

Reply to
harry

Spares seem to vary in price from cheap to silly. But take a look.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Yea,what make are they so I'll won't buy 'em

Reply to
BobH

Bosch. Think they have lasted 3 years with no maintenance (other than SWMBO cutting through the cable a few times)

Reply to
larkim

Which model?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I think AHS 60-16, but not certain - need to check at home tonight.

Reply to
larkim

If it's that, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of gears. There is a drive assembly for the blade, and it comes with a new blade too. £45.22

- the most expensive part!

What do you think has actually failed?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Bosch spares are usually fairly available... although getting all the parts for some of the models can be more tricky.

The smaller helical thread is actually the output shaft of the motor armature. Its a very common way to finish the shaft on the armature. If you look at my recent replacement of the aramature on my Makita drill, its a very similar design:

So you would need to replace the armature is its the shaft that is worn.

Bosch spares can be had here:

John Rumm

Ah, I see that now. New armature is £26.73.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not my experience with gears on a Bosch green circular saw. Parts readily available on the web (some time ago so no link) and prices not too bad.

Reply to
newshound

Cheers - I'll have a go at disassembly first tonight, if that goes OK then I'm happier that the replacement part will be available!

Reply to
larkim

Bosch, eh? I'm surprised. Rotten piece of design by the look of it; too much mechanical disadvantage. And no shear pins?? Shocking!

Reply to
Cursitor Doom

Not like harry to talk out the back of his head is it? ;-)

The only caution I would add with cheaper tools like domestic hedge trimmers, is that they can often be bought second hand on ebay for less than the cost of some of the spares.

Reply to
John Rumm

True enough. But who's to say the previous owner hasn't been as poor with their use as my wife has, so that could be a false economy!

Reply to
larkim

repeated jamming on branches which are too thick for the trimmer.

========================= =================\

Unfortunately, the model we have is the AHS 63-16 for which the only exploded parts diagram shows external parts e.g.

Whereas for models such as the AHS 60-16 a fully exploded diagram lists all of the parts e.g.

Perhaps all implying "not user serviceable"

It is the main toothed disc which has been run flat, not the actuator.

At EURO 42 ex VAT, looking like £35 for the part even if it was available , a replacement set of trimmers looks like better value unfortunately.

Thanks for all the help!

Matt

Reply to
larkim