Cutting gears?

What's the favoured approach to getting hold of gears, to cut them yourself, or to buy from, say, HPC gears?

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

i buy from wherever

depends on what size

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You are not likely to have the equipment needed to do this .

harry

Actually the reason for my query is that last year I bought a Jacobs gear hobber for a reason that has now gone and I was wondering if there might be a market for its sale.

I have a 55 year old dream from the days of my impoverished teenage years that I would make my own communications receiver to compete with the likes of the best at that time, and I intended to cut gears for the tuning dial but recently have obtained the rolls royce of dials, the Eddystone 898 so no longer need the hobber.

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

Of course there's a market. Silly question. As is the choice of buy or cut, anyone that can buy the gears they need/want will do so.

Reply to
tabbypurr

I used my 3d printer to produce the gears and pulleys for motorising my astronomical telescope.

Your application may be somewhat more strenuous.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave

What module or DP for those gears, because AIUI there is a limit to how small something can be extruded from a 3D printer?

Reply to
Gareth's was W7 now W10 Downst

Hobbed gears are nice, but not the only way to cut teeth. Milling with a single gear cutter is less equipment intensive.

Reply to
John Rumm

The parameters for teeth are many and its a bit of a minefield. Most gears these days seem to be made of a crappy form of Nylon and lose teeth. If they are to be custom made, say for fixing a curtain closer etc, then it might be good to get them made from something more robust. Or are you refurbishing an Aerial Rotator? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ah OK. So are you saying you want to fix it to flog it? I remember seeing the drawings for some gears used in Radar turning units, and it was a scary lot of measurements of pitch, and form, ie shape, and remember the right diameter and pitch are needed before you start or you end up with half a tooth at the end.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I'm just using the standard 0.4mm nozzle because it's OK for my application. 0.2mm is the smallest practical size.

I'm using pulleys with GT2 toothed belts mainly, but a worm and gear arrangement for the focusser.

The patterns for the printer are generated by Autoscad

using (for gears)

and (for pulleys)

Both are quite difficult to use (the gears thing is in German!) but very rewarding.

Another Dave

Reply to
Another Dave