strange screw

While fixing the stair door today, I found that the door closer had been (inadequately) fastened to the frame using a type of screw that I've never seen before.

The screw is a straight cylinder, with a fairly low profile thread (bit more than a bolt, but less than a wood screw thread); it has a partly smooth shank; but unusually, part of the tip is also unthreaded, and the tip is formed in a precise sharp conical point. The unthreaded tip portion comprises the point and about 1.5mm of cylindrical shank before the point. It has a Pozidrive head, and is made of brass, if that's relevant.

What is it? I haven't even managed to google up any pictures of such a screw.

Reply to
Julian Bradfield

Reminds me of the screws used in GPO phones. Post a pic.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Perhaps?

Reply to
Huge

We'll share a picture of it and maybe I'll be tempted to hazard a guess. ;-)

Definitely a case of a picture being worth a thousand words....

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

You have described a drawer runner screw, most flat pack furniture uses them for drawers a google search for drawer runner screw brings them up first. They come in several sizes. Also used to secure fans in computer cases. Screwfix used to sell them and still do, but their catalogue is crap, look up online 89259 . I have used them in awkward situations with hinges and odd jobs. Ikea would have some.

Reply to
MrCheerful

here are some on ebay:

MrCheerful

Some sort of self-drilling screw?

A La :-

soup

Sounds like a custom design to me. Can you not modify the catch so it can take a 'normal' screw and a nut? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

OK, there's a picture at

Just for clarity, I have no wish to obtain such a screw - I replaced it with a plain old wood screw which does the job properly. I'm just curious as to what it is, and why anyone would use it to try to screw into wood!

Reply to
Julian Bradfield

You give no dimensions, but it sounds like it's some sort of pivot where the conical part locates it accurately and the smooth part is used as a bearing surface. Maybe it's used as a pivot joining the two door closer arms. Maybe it's bronze. Maybe it's Maybelline. Clearly it's not for use in securing the door closer, but it's all the fitter had and he wanted to go home.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Looks like a screw left over from a "frame fixing" like this.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

That is a hammer in screw, usually used as a frame fixing.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Yup. And probably not brass, but zinc and passivated steel

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just seen the picture, clearly nothing like I thought.

Cheers

Reply to
Syd Rumpo

If it was screwed straight into wood it was inappropriate, and ineffective as the OP found. It was either used by accident by someone who was wearing the wrong glasses, or deliberately by someone without a proper screw who didn't care about it failing. Or perhaps used by someone who didn't know what they were doing.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

As in "Oh, look, this screw comes with a wall plug. I don't need that for wood, so I'll remove it and just use the screw"

Reply to
Bob Eager