Best screw fixing for panel door

I want to screw clothes hooks to a hollow panel door, What is the best type for the job? I have seen so many variations. Blair

Reply to
Blair

I'd glue and screw a suitable batten and fix to that. Or get one of those ready made clothes hooks racks designed for a hallway, etc, and fix it in the same way. A straight screw fixing to a thin panel will simply pull out, sooner or later.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Self tappers.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

OK for light jobs or if you can find an internal batten, but those panels are pretty thin. I prefer the collapsible metal ones with a machine screw. (Sorry, can't spot a link. It's one of the Rawl fixings).

Reply to
Newshound

Suggestions of battens have been made what door is it going on i.e wardrobe,internal kitchen,livingroom?

battens are ok for wardrobe but on a door thats in the living quarters, Nah!

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

In message , Newshound writes

There are fixings specifically for hollow panelled doors and such like.

Ah yes, like this:

ISTR using something like that once, but haven't had hollow doors for long time. Dunno how much I'd want to hang off them though.

Reply to
chris French

Thanks to all who replied. The doors are kitchen, bathroom and bedrooms. Battens would look awful. The suggestion of chris French looks promising Blair

Reply to
Blair

They stock them at Focus, and probably the other sheds. Worked well for me.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

An alternative might be those hooks which hook over the top of the door, rather than screw in.

Argos/Ikea have them

Owain

Reply to
Owain

An alternative is to drill a (probably 16mm or 5/8 inch) hole and insert a length of dowel. Glue at both ends then trim flush. Drill a pilot hole for the screw.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Heh heh. Depends how you make them. A nice bit of hardwood with an ornamental edge could look good.

It also depends on what the door is made of. If it's plywood and all you want to hang on the hook is a dressing gown etc, screwing a hook direct will probably be ok.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Blair writes

I sw another sort today (Rawlplug, in Focus)) I think a plastic toggle type fixing that looks like it would be pretty secure.

Reply to
chris French

I bought a pack of 5 Plasplugs Dr 106 Hollow Door Fixings as you originally suggested, at our local hardware store for 65p and will be fitting them within the next few days.. Will let you know how I get on Blair

Reply to
Blair