Lever action toilets

Having experienced a moderm push button toilet which she cannot operate as she has fingernails, she insists on fitting only lever operated toilets in a bathroom refurb. These things seem to be as common as hens teeth and extremely poor quality, going by the reviews. What is the experience of others?

Reply to
Capitol

Eight year old push button toilet One new insides. Three new push buttons. The new push button is a bit insecure. I can't be arsed messing with it. British Gas did the repair work ........... If you can find a lever operated one, go for it.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

I fitted things looking very like this

or

in the mid 80s with little trouble just one replacement diaphragm in over 60 toilet years. There is virtually nothing to go wrong.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

I fitted a dual flush lever syphon in an old cistern, works fine, three years on now, scarcely any effort to operate, has a cable to the lever, came from screwfix . fluid master about 12 quid, easy to fit (first one I did) adjustable amount of flush.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Women with long nails. No Thank You. Get a new one.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

There's various infrared solutions. Not cheap though.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

What's the problem? Everyone I know has fingernails, but if she wants to fit the lever operated ones stand back and watch. OTOH, if you're doing the fitting just fit what you want.

Reply to
Richard

I hate button operated toilets. Often they are too stiff, too loose or just don't work. What is wrong with a lever or indeed a chain for that matter, a good fall on those old designs makes any old loo clean itself out nicely! Bring back the high level cistern, I say. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Yes two diaphragms, and one new lever to siphon link that rusted through, one new valve due to hard water. Been there since 1969. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

The height of the buttons is adjustable on installation as, in my experience, the buttons are fitted to 'stalks' that are trimmed to suit. When my en suite was done around 12 years ago, the plumber commented that he didn't install the push buttons flush to accommodate his female customers with long finger nails. I followed his example when I diy-ed the bathroom and cloackroom. It is possible to get (eBay?) replacement stalks if the button height needs to be altered.

Reply to
Peter Johnson