Stove - wood or pellet?

Hack it up into 6' lengths, pile up the bigger stuff over smaller stuff. Pour on a gallon or two of diesel and set fire to it. There might be a few locations in towns where this might be inconvenient. It might be reasonably safe to move a cut up tree in a sealed container direct to a place of destruction provided the fungus isn't at the fruiting stage.

They might but I should guess you are looking at centauries if not millenia for a resistant strain to replace what we have.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A wood burner needs to be tar proof and fire proof.

Tar can travel through porous flues and make the place look damp. And a chimney fire with a tarry flue is very, very dangerous.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Be aware that modern stoves and flues come with fairly stern warnings about only burning seasoned hardwood.

No treated timber. No pallets. etc.

Not that this should necessarily stop you but if you have a warranty claim they may get a bit picky. The gopher for the installer claimed they can now test liners to see if treated timber has been used. [Then again they were offering kiln dried hardwood at £200 a load.] It would also be pretty obvious if wet wood and/or softwood had been used unless the stove was run for a long time at high heat using dry hardwood.

So skip diving is a good way to get timber (builders do like to throw off-cuts away) but there are ramifications.

Cheers

DAve R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Ash trees can grow to ten feet in three or four years. There's not many places in suburbia where you could start a bonfire. The problem with elm was that is was all genetically identical,it had been mostly grown from suckers. If resistant ash trees are found they could be quickly propagated with seed.

Reply to
harry

There are too many tosser out there ready to make a quick buck by over complicating an issue. I have burnt lots of pallets. You need a good blaze once a week to keep chimney tarring down.

The reason for not burning treated timber is that it may contain arsenic which then gets released into the atmosphere.

Reply to
harry

In message , harry writes

Presumably the *90%* of Danish Ash trees said to have succumbed had no genetic resistance.

Cell propagation or from cuttings may suit growers better than gathering and using seed.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

They'll impose a prohibition order on birds roosting in Ash trees shortly. When that doesn't work they'll allow the logs to be moved.

I doubt that much attention will be paid to the movement order if the disease becomes a national pandemic of ash trees, an arboreal black death; millions of dead trees to be disposed of.

Reply to
Onetap

Very possibly.

Cell propagation again gives genetically identical trees. We need diversity to avoid such future calamities.

Reply to
harry

ease becomes a national pandemic of ash trees, an arboreal black death; mil= lions of dead trees to be disposed of.

It happened with elm. I don't believe this outbreak can be halted by any means. It will have to run it's course. Silly regulations won't help any more than it did last time. The problem is that oak trees and horse chestnuts are also getting nasty EU diseases.

Reply to
harry

Plenty of old airfields still about to bury them all in... or have big bonfires on with the timber transported in sealed lorries. If it gets to pandemic you don't even bother with that. A dead tree takes quite a long time to become a dangerous dead tree. There is also some comment that it doesn't kill mature trees just takes the crown out. Younger trees like those in nurserys are killed.

I suspect you are correct it does appear to be "in the wild" and quite well spread.

Probably to late for silly regulations now but the transport of living things between nations really ought to be regulated and sod "free trade".

That little bit of water between us and regulations controlling the import of things really does help to keep nasties out of the country.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

It helps (and rabies is one obvious example), but the ash fungus might have blown across it anyway:

"The discovery in October and November 2012 of infected trees in established woodlands near the south-east coast of England raises the possibility that a natural introduction of the fungus might have occurred, such as spores borne by the wind from mainland Europe across the North Sea and English Channel."

Reply to
Alan Braggins

You obviously aren't near any ash trees.

The buggers grow from seed to 8 feet tall overnight I reckon

Its a fast growing tree to reach its height - probably no more than 30 years. After that it puts on weight.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

becomes a national pandemic of ash trees, an arboreal black death; millions of dead trees to be disposed of.

Still got elm growing here. They make it about 8-10 years before the beetle gets em, long enough to reseed though. Eventually they will mutate enough to do longer.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It's ironic - I keep hacking mine back and they just go "boing" again. And their offspring pop up everywhere. I had them pegged as the rats of the tree world.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Not around here they don't. They are at least 2 weeks behind the other trees in spring and drop their leaves before all the others as well. Surprised they manage to put any growth on at all. The ones we put in 10 years ago have only in the last few years started to catch up with the rowan, birch or larch planted at the same time. Don't think I've seen any seed on the ashs yet, the others have all fruited/seeded for years.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'd argue that Sycamores qualify for that title. Big useless leaves everywhere ,gutters getting full of flying seeds and the wood isn't that brilliant for burning.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

There has been other problems in the past too. When I was planting lots of trees there were imports from Eastern Europe about. But they weren't suited to our climate though they were the same species.

Reply to
harry

hed

I thought it was carried by some insect vector the same as the Dutch elm disease?

Reply to
harry

I have a few but dozens of seedlings every year. They are good for firewood. You could start a business. Supposing they survive.

Reply to
harry

*Old* trees here tend to be Oak now the Elms have gone but there are a few mature Ash.

I planted some to replace the Elms. Also a way of stopping the general public parking on by-way verges.

Hmm... maybe after coppicing. I also have Black Poplar along the river bank... seriously fast growth!

And then rots up the middle. I have just finished splitting the limb wood from just such an Ash and reckon on about 4 tons of firewood.

Reply to
Tim Lamb