any such thing wood chip pellet stove?

Have found lots of info on net. Pellet stoves seem much more convient than wood but I have 60 acres of mixed trees oak and pine. some stoves burn corn and also pellets. I will have chain saw, tractor, and plan to buy a splitter. I was wondering if anyone knew of a stove that would burn wood chips like a pellet stove? then I chould just get a chipper and not have to buy fuel.

Reply to
Anonymous

Would wood chips be hard to dry out? All the largish piles I see around here are either very green, or have an awful lot of decomposition going on and steaming etc.

-Kevin

Reply to
kevin

Most wood chippers will not handle logs. If you only chipped the small stuff, they'd have to be dried before you put them in the stove. It would take so much time and effort that it wouldn't be worth the benefit.

Reply to
Bob

Not the home variety chipper, but the one the tree service had took those 18 inch dia pine trees and ate them link butter, instant mulch.

Now if I could just win the lottery and but all those neat toys.

Reply to
MC

I have a 8hp chipper. its at best a mixed bag kinda purchase.

its very hard to chip dried wood. my machine will take 4 inch branches. but with dried stuff even a 3 will tend to be tough and perhaps stall the machine plus its rough feeding in the branches, arms ache from vibration. running it is DIRTY and NOISEY.

I wanted a chipper since I was a kid, spent 800 bucks and have come close to selling it.

Once you chip the wood it decomposes fast, and must be spread out or it will produce alcohol and can catch on fire! a real hazard!

I think the US should go to biomass ethyl alcohol for running cars, and tell the arabs to get lost!

Reply to
hallerb

I thought I was the only one. I got an 8hp for $125. Sharpened the leaf blade and the two chipper blocks. Bought four chipper block screws to the tune of $4 each, freed up the swinging claws that were rusted in one spot, put in a new plug, and thought I had a great buy. I put several maple trimmings in it and it ate them so fast I hardly had time to blink. The chips were nowhere to be found!. I guess it just turned them into sawdust. The bare dirt stripe under the chute convinced me I should not put my foot there, nor try to shoot the chips onto the grass anymore.;) I tried some 1½" limbs from last year, and the vibration and whipping I got was less than a pleasure. If the limbs are green, it goes right through, no problem. If they are cured, forget it. Mine is advertised to take 3", but that is questionable, and they would have to be green. I have yet to try it though.

Reply to
Shoebox Chevy

On a large scale, I don't think ethyl alcohol is a viable alternative fuel because of the manufacturing costs involved. I think that hydrogen is our best option.

Reply to
Bob

I bought the 8hp and cut down 5 large trees, at a home I was rehabbing to sell. The cost of the chipper was a little less than renting a huge one that would of been a hassle getting on the property. Being a new design it would be hard to hurt oneself, with long chutes so you cant touch moving parts. The remaining danger would be clothes getting stuck in somethiung being pulled thru and choking the operator.

dry wood is a absolute nightmare whipping and vibrating.

I probably should sell it, since I HATE using it.

As to the cost of alcohol from biomass, sure it would be costly. but whats the cost of meddling in the mid east? Iraq war?

If we kept our nose out of their business theym probably wouldnt care about the US.

Brazils economy largely ruuns on ethane, we can do it too!

Reply to
hallerb

Hydrogen. Sounds good until you ask the next question: "Where do we get Hydrogen?"

The answer for the chemically-challenged is: Oil.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hydrogen. Sounds good until you ask the next question: "Where do we get

Hydrogen?"

The answer for the chemically-challenged is: Oil.

Or nuclear, which has its own set of serious issues. Just ask anyone who USED to live in that area of russia that got contaminated

Reply to
hallerb

I believe all of the wood pellet stoves use the same type of wood pellets for their fuel. The pellets only have a 7% moisture content. I would find it hard to believe you could get your wood chips that dry. Plus free of the creasote.

Reply to
DannyB20

Generating that much electricity is the problem. If not coal, then it will be steam-methane. Neither sustainable. If we could get that fusion thing down pat, without use of tritium, maybe we could fill these coal pits back in. ;)

Reply to
Shoebox Chevy

Quote - "Hydrogen can produce electricity and electricity can produce hydrogen, creating an energy loop that is renewable and harmless to the environment."

This came from the article you are using for hydrogen being "sustainable". Are you saying that with a few mechanical gadgets, you would have what amounts to a perpetual energy machine? If we can make all the hydrogen we need from electricity, which can be generated from said hydrogen, then all our problems are solved! Bob.....that's ingenious!!!!

Oh Wait, why are we making all of our electricity with coal then? =/

Reply to
Shoebox Chevy

Mine hooks to the Tractor and will take a 8" logs. It cost 3400usd

Reply to
Esmith3347