Bathfitter

anyone have an opinion on them? their work? reputation?

Reply to
SeaKan

Had them re-do our bathroom a few years ago. Very satisfied.

Reply to
brandystew

Did you pay $7,000 too? I think the OP said that's what he paid and I told him that I could get a contractor to come in and gut the bathroom from the floor up (new ceramic floor, new toilet, vanity and sink and a Jacuzzi tub) for that price.....

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

first of all, what is an OP?

second, I doubt that a total "redo" job would cost as little as $7 grand. probably more like 11 grand. i say that b/c of the labor of the tiling and drywall/greenboard. and the labor of the rest.

Reply to
SeaKan

Maybe I didn't eat lunch, but something about this sounds very demanding.

There was a thread about bathfitter less than 2 weeks ago. Do you know about groups.google? It will all be in there.

mm

The Original Poster, the person starting the thread.

I had mind done for less than $2000. Well, it was a few years ago.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I would do it myself now, but I had it done 8 years ago and it cost me $2400. Now, I DID buy the tub, toilet and sink/vanity. Those were less than $1,000. (Tub was one piece with surround).

My point being that for Bathfitters to come in and basically slap a molded piece over the existing tub (yes, I know there is a little more involved) and then charge $7,000 is just re-god-damn-diculous......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

I agree with that. Some people either don't have a clue as to what something is worth and/or they just don't want the fuss of a normal week or so for a real refurb and will accept a piece of plastic in its place.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

i think for what you get with bathfitter, it is worth it. the week disruption (or more, depding on a contractor's dependability) is a major factor. only one bathroom, no family in town, toddler, etc. plus, 6 grand versus 12 for a full remodel.

Reply to
SeaKan

"i think for what you get with bathfitter, it is worth it. the week disruption (or more, depding on a contractor's dependability) is a major factor. only one bathroom, no family in town, toddler, etc. plus, 6 grand versus 12 for a full remodel."

I did use bathfitter for exactly those reasons. now that it's over, i regret it. I paid $3000 cdn for the tub part. No other work done in the bathroom. What you end up with is some fiberglass/plastic stuck on the walls and a tub insert.

A new tub/shower costs about $1000. Faucets another $300. So I paid $2000 for labour. Was supposed to be 1 day. Didn't turn out that way due to poor workmanship on the part of the installer. But let's leave that aside. What you get is a cheap looking bathroom. OK. It won't leak and they've done it fast. If you're rich, and can pay $7,000, you probably won't be happy with the look. And if you're that rich and can afford to throw away $7,000, you probably have another bathroom in the house. Or you could remodel the basement and add one and then do the main bathroom nicely with tile or something.

This bathfitter company basically cheats people who don't know much or have ZERO time to research. One factor that helps them in gaining contracts is that the plumbing shops when they quote a price are looking for the moon too. If you can do the contracting yourself, a beautiful bathroom reno doesn't cost half what the bidders want. ...thehick

Reply to
thehick

I'm glad people are happy with it. I guess that's why they (Bathfitters) have a commercial on TV every 5 minutes because of all the money they are making off of people that don't know any better. Not calling them stupid. Just uninformed.

Let's take an example. Get the most expensive tub Lowe's carries ($1500 Jacuzzi):

Most would not get a Jacuzzi tub. They would get a regular tub with a surround kit or one of the tubs with the surround and everything in one piece. Let's say one of THOSE costs $1,000. I'm not saying there is no such thing as an unscrupulous contractor, but any GOOD contractor is not going to charge you $5,000 to change out that tub. Even is they DID you are still coming out ahead and getting a real tub and not a "peel and stick" tub. PLUS, I don't see why a contractor couldn't do that in one day. I know, there are certain cases where maybe the floor is weak or the walls may need to be replaced and THAT may take a couple of days, but it still shouldn't cost over $5,000.

I don't know. Maybe I need to change professions! Get a Bathfitters franchise and retire in 10 years......

Reply to
Dr. Hardcrab

You don't have to be "rich" to spend $7000. Although a livable income is needed, maybe a person has to adjust priorities if a re-modeled bathroom is important. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"You don't have to be "rich" to spend $7000"

Of course, regular folk can spend $7000. Like on a car downpayment. or for a roof and a driveway. But they wouldn't be able to spend it on something worth $2000. Let's get real. $7000 is about $5000 too much. Last car I bought was worth $30K. I could have paid more if I'd wanted too, and the dealer would have been real happy, but I didn't. I tried to pay as little as possible. That's generally what people without excess money do. Isn't it?

If you need a bathroom fix-up and you can go to Sears and see the shower tub enclosure will cost $1500 and I say, OK, I'll do it for $7000. Wouldn't you go elsewhere? That's all I'm saying. These companies charge way too much. If you're rich, then the time saved may be more important. Working class folk aren't rich. ...thehick

Reply to
thehick