storm reports

Mine kicked in several times today. Which is utterly bizarre, since it isn't plugged into anything, on the input or output side (It awaits new batteries) and it's supposedly switched off.

Reply to
Huge

You responded to the comment about windmills not working when it's windy by saying that neither did Dungeness. In that context, you most definitely did imply that Dungeness also suffered an in-built limitation as wind turbines do.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Now you know how we feel about your recent posts!

Reply to
Bill Merton

More than "large parts" it never happend over MOST of the country.

And the bit furthest up its own arse.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I've been to Lincolnshire. I hated it. Flat as a pancake, no trees and that BIG SKY, argh!

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

She's right! Sugar on Crunchy Nuts is a crime against breakfasting. Why d'you need sugar with that honey and the peanuts?

MM

Reply to
MM

Inedible? Crunchy Nut Cornflakes?

"The cereal is Kellogg's second most popular cereal in the UK after Special K" - Wikipedia

Hardly inedible if it comes second among a huge choice of breakfast cereals. I also like raisin wheats, blueberry wheats, oat clusters, and fruit and fibre (from which I dig out the little bits of case-hardened banana flake).

MM

Reply to
MM

No, it's ab fab here. I love the wide open spaces and the fact that the sky comes right down to the horizon, and I can see the twin towers of Spalding Power Station through my binoculars from 8 miles away. No hills to wheeze up. Lovely straight B roads where you could do a ton on a motorbike (watch out for tractors). Cost of living low. What's not to like?

MM

Reply to
MM

Huh, anyone would think I posted frequently :(

MM

Reply to
MM

To put it into context it was windier where I live in North Yorkshire for the entire of Sunday afternoon than it was for the mere hour when this media hyped up St Jude "super" storm passed over Essex.

It was flat calm up here in N Yorks at the height of this supposedly "national" storm. The barometer was 977mb so we were in the low but it was nothing like the deep low of 1987 which ISTR was around 960mb.

It might well have been the strongest storm in decades to affect London and the Home Counties, but it was nothing like the real 1987 storm that the 24/7 rolling News inventors keep breathlessly comparing it with!

It was well short of being the strongest storm to hit "the country" for decades (even when taking country at its most restrictive - England).

The last storm hitting England with these wind speeds was at least as recent as 3 Jan 2012. The last one to do serious damage where I live was in 2005 and before that in 2003 & 1997. The 1997 Xmas storm was notable for gusting to over 100mph at RAF Leeming.

Martin Brown

Indeed. Ive lived on the Cambridgeshire fens and hated that. Still its better than a rundown Northern town whose economic justification for its own existence has long since pased its sell by date.

Or the arsey home counties suburbia with the net curtains twitching and a harry on every street.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dave it wasn't hyped as a National storm, it was made quite clear that to the South of the main storm track and depression system the winds would be intense but not to the Northern side...

I See there are 13 dead across the channel:(...

Reply to
tony sayer

Reply to
Java Jive

Reply to
Java Jive

That wasn't evident from the maps on BBC News and Sky News, which had a vast central swathe of England covered, including north of the Wash near where I live. It's no good for the forecasters to belatedly say the next day that it's really only the south coast that's mainly affected. Cripes, the Met Office had an *amber* warning out for the area indicated!

MM

Reply to
MM

snip

Since when have places like Clacton and Felixstowe been on the South Coast?

Reply to
Roger Chapman

What utter bullshit

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Sort of, considering other / similar things that were about that hadn't moved?

Understood. This screen however was close to several other objects and between buildings / fences in all directions so I wouldn't have thought there would have been a clean air flow in any one direction?

Obviously there was for at least once instance (it looked like the screen had just been 'flipped' from where it was originally to where I found it).

Just need to find one of the two mounting brackets that were sitting on it ... (I took it off a new_to_me bike because I wanted a naked bike (I already have one with a full touring fairing) so I can't see myself putting it on again).

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Reply to
Java Jive

The context, without further explanation, made the implication. There is no balance in pointing out that turbines shut down in high winds because they always have to and a nuclear power station only shut down because something outside their plant failed, something that on another day of high winds, may well not fail.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW