storm reports

Apperently things are bad down te south coast already, so I thought it would be worth starting a thread to report on whats happening in various areas.

1:22 am West Suffolk, moderate rain wind currently very low pressure falling. 986mb.

No sign of damage or floods.

rain radar shows very heavy rain london, surrey kent sussex.

Just in 92mph peak, at the Needles, IOW.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Looks like big rain as far north as Leeds, but N.E clear for now.

NI patchy, wales, west country heavy and channel in a total mess. pity anyone out there tonight.

West Country on full flood alert but no 'danger to life' yet.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
3.45am. Clear here, slight wind. Not a bad night to be out. Might go up the hill and do a bit of lamping...

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

No sign of any hurricane in Spalding area. I got up half an hour ago to make a cup of tea, thinking that it could be my last before the house, Wizard Of Oz-like, was plucked from its foundations and blown to Kansas with me inside -- "Oh, hi, Dorothy!"

Imagine my surprise, therefore, when I suddenly realised that there IS no hurricane! No storm! Not even the squall I thought might arrive. Sure, it's raining, but it's not torrential rain. Just, well, rain.

The Highways Agency have their "Breaking News" (ooh, how some people love to make a drama out of a non-crisis) have a statement on their web site: "....strong winds are forecast for all regions of England, particularly in the East, East Midlands..."

Well, sorry, HA, and all that, but "East" or "East Midlands" is just where I'm at and the wind is not strong at all. Perhaps it's the eye?

Or perhaps the "worst hurricance since 1987" will fail to materialise and the Met Office will end up with yet another chicken farm on its faces, as will the Daily Express.

...waiting with bated breath for further developments.

MM

Reply to
MM

I'm near Dover. Although it was a noisy night the really strong winds didn't get here until about 6am.

Reply to
Bob Martin

W. Midlands. Moderate rain, not a breath of wind. Power went off for 5 minutes.

Reply to
harryagain

Some rain showers here, less windy than yesterday. Looks like bin day may pass without the contents being blown down the street.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Well its windy mow - full gale, but that's it. 30 peaking 50mph at worse.

just woked up. not sure where the centre is

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Rochester, Kent. No damage I can see. Cover blown off next doors patio furniture is all I can see, but haven't been out yet.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Shropshire: Calm as a millpond here, blustery earlier on with lightish rain. No damage or disruption.

Reply to
Farmer Giles

On the coast overlooking the sea in West Cornwall, it was a non event! Plenty of rain, 0.93", pressure fell to 981 mbar, but winds averaging around 35-40 mph, with gusts around 50-55 mph, between 10pm last night and 2am this morning. For us, that's unexceptional. The weekend before was windier, peaking at 61 mph!

From the wind-speed charts displayed by Marine Traffic

it looked like the worst of the wind was further south, through Brittany and Normandy. Judging by this morning's reports on Marine Traffic and the BBC, it veered north as it moved up the Channel, with reports of 99mph gusts at The Needles and over 100 mph in the Dover Straits.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Occasional shower up until midnight, wind dropped from F5 to basicaly nothing just after midnight. Currently calm, dull and misty.

Looks like the Meto where reasonably accurate (ie the SE corner and channel coast will have a rough time) but the media hyped that up to death and destruction every where south of the Midlands.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I actually saw some leaves on my lawn that had obviously been blown off the trees. Shocking, I can tell you. I was worried the leaves might accumulate and submerge my house with me still inside! But I checked, and found that since I have a spare box of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes and plenty of milk there's no need to panic.

MM

Reply to
MM

Yeah, if I've heard about that 99mph gust off the Needles once, I've heard it a hundred times.

MM

Reply to
MM

S. of Northampton - not yet been as windy as yesterday. Rain not heavy. Pity about the windmills though.

Reply to
PeterC

There were issues at Heathrow around half 6 7am this morning, Missed approches and delayed take offs due to wind sheer and unable to get the jetties on some aircraft due to wind rocking it about. They talk in knots there so max speed was around 61knots in gusts I heard. Yes lots of rain last night but more showery today. Wind deifinitely going down at the moment. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

As for millibars, I notice the airports now us hecto-pascals, which coincidentally seem to be the same as millibars... grin

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

From what I gather it was actually a lot less deep depression that formed than was expected. Its gone now, but is still deepening: Denmark is going to take the worst of it.

Wind speeds peaked at 100mph, not 120mph as in 1987. Power is proportional to wind speed cubed..

Wind output on them windymills peaked at a bit over 5GW round 6pm Sunday, then it looks like the whole south shut down and the output fell to a shade over 1.5GW at 6 a.m.

So they dont work when its windy, either.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

All our fences both back and front (put in by the previous owner I might ad d!) have fallen down in the wind.

I've got some work to do at the weekend then....

Philip

Reply to
philipuk

A few miles NW of Southampton, my wheelbarrow blew over as did a nearly empty wheely bin outside my workshop. I had rather hoped for a few wind eddies to have piled up the fallen leaves to make pick up easier but no such luck.

Bit of a non-event here.

Sun is out now, PV producing power and solar thermal tubes are delivery hot water into the store. All is good!

Sympathies are with others who have had it worse.

Reply to
Bob Minchin