Jonas storm south east USA, hope everyone is okay

Sounds really bad. Hope everyone is okay.

5:28 p.m. EST: Power outages are starting to increase rapidly in North Carolina, where about 104,000 customers are now without power according to a survey of data from regional utility websites. Many of them are in the central part of the state, near and just south of Raleigh. Raleigh-Durham International Airport is reporting light freezing rain with a temperature of 32 degrees and winds gusting to 36 mph. Another 22,000 customers are without power in Upstate South Carolina.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Poco guy told me that 90% of storm-related power outages are caused by tree branches falling on the lines and snapping them.

Someday maybe we'll wise-up and stop planting trees near power lines. Until then, everyone enjoy your multi-day power outage.

Reply to
wally

I have plenty of electri

Reply to
Micky

Per wally:

Back when I was working for the electric company, I was walking the lines after a big storm - spotting downed wires and calling them in.

A guy came up to me and started unloading on the electric company about how bad it was that they got such frequent power outages.

He had some sort of accent, so I asked him where he was from.

"Saudi Arabia"

"Got a lot of trees back there in Saudi Arabia?"

"Oh....."

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

Tree problems can be solved. Power distribution can be underground like my neighborhood. Only HT transmission lines can be down to due ice storm,the weight of ice build up can snap the cables or topple the towers.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Per Tony Hwang:

For some period of time, underground electric was all the rage around here with the electric company. But it sort of fizzled out as far as I can see. Son-in-law's neighborhood is all underground, but that is the only one I know of.

I wonder what the consequences of a high tension tower going down would be. Would it be trivial because they just re-route the power ? Or would it be a big deal ?

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

My problem is short term memory. I sometimes

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

... hmmm I had something to say, but forgot what it was.

Reply to
Muggles