storm reports

What utter bullshit
Jim K
You won't find any breakfast cereal except unsweetened unsalted muesli here.

You stated:-

I maintain that even an ass like you would eat honey flavour anything before you starve.
Doubtless you will argue the toss....
Jim K

Oh, here we go again.

Actually I would be concentrating on getting myself into a position where I didn't have to make the choice.
Anyway, it was just a figure of speech. Lighten up.

On top of the downs south of Canterbury: one pane blown out of the greenhouse, I put it back already (it's polycarb). Another trugfull of walnuts; lots of bits of dead wood blown off the walnut tree, that's good as it makes useful kindling.
Now we have sunshine.
--
Tim

The Medway Handyman scribbled...

Somewhere in Kent, a 17 year old girl killed, asleep in a caravan hit by tree.
On the coast overlooking the sea in West Cornwall, it was a non event! Plenty of rain, 0.93", pressure fell to 981 mbar, but winds averaging around 35-40 mph, with gusts around 50-55 mph, between 10pm last night and 2am this morning. For us, that's unexceptional. The weekend before was windier, peaking at 61 mph!
From the wind-speed charts displayed by Marine Traffic (http://www.marinetraffic.com ) it looked like the worst of the wind was further south, through Brittany and Normandy. Judging by this morning's reports on Marine Traffic and the BBC, it veered north as it moved up the Channel, with reports of 99mph gusts at The Needles and over 100 mph in the Dover Straits.
--

Chris

Yeah, if I've heard about that 99mph gust off the Needles once, I've heard it a hundred times.
MM
On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 01:25:13 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Occasional shower up until midnight, wind dropped from F5 to basicaly nothing just after midnight. Currently calm, dull and misty.
Looks like the Meto where reasonably accurate (ie the SE corner and channel coast will have a rough time) but the media hyped that up to death and destruction every where south of the Midlands.
--
Cheers
Dave.
On 28/10/13 08:39, Dave Liquorice wrote:

From what I gather it was actually a lot less deep depression that formed than was expected. Its gone now, but is still deepening: Denmark is going to take the worst of it.
Wind speeds peaked at 100mph, not 120mph as in 1987. Power is proportional to wind speed cubed..
Wind output on them windymills peaked at a bit over 5GW round 6pm Sunday, then it looks like the whole south shut down and the output fell to a shade over 1.5GW at 6 a.m.
So they dont work when its windy, either.
--
Ineptocracy

Nor did Dungeness ...
On Mon, 28 Oct 2013 09:11:56 +0000, The Natural Philosopher

On 28/10/2013 14:06, Java Jive wrote:

Hardly the power station's fault that that part of the grid failed.
SteveW
I didn't imply that it was ...

On 28/10/2013 20:53, Java Jive wrote:

You responded to the comment about windmills not working when it's windy by saying that neither did Dungeness. In that context, you most definitely did imply that Dungeness also suffered an in-built limitation as wind turbines do.
SteveW
I implied nothing of the sort. I pointed out, merely for balance, that the same wind that shut down the turbines also shut down a nuclear power station.

On 30/10/2013 02:06, Java Jive wrote:

The context, without further explanation, made the implication. There is no balance in pointing out that turbines shut down in high winds because they always have to and a nuclear power station only shut down because something outside their plant failed, something that on another day of high winds, may well not fail.
SteveW
YOU made the implication, based on YOUR bigotry. It was just another example of the pro-nuclear bias here.
The only thing that matters is what actually happened, which is that high winds lost us the output of both wind turbines and of a nuclear power station, and BTW note which were back on line soonest. So much for the reliability of nuclear power as often claimed here.

Java Jive wrote:

Speaking of which, I see that Hans Blix has started making noises in favour of Thorium reactors ...
<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24638816
On 31/10/13 21:04, Andy Burns wrote:

and the elusive Dr Nils Bohmer, (telling us the answer is reneable energy) allegedly a 'nuclear physicist' who seems to be little more than a CND activist..
http://nuclear-news.net/2013/02/13/terrorism-and-nuclear-proliferation-nils-bohner/
"9/1 Nuclear physicist Nils Bohmer "My biggest concern at Fukushima is Earthquakes and Rain entering cracks in the containment vessels. Water will act as a moderator which will start up an uncontrollable chain reaction; that would be catastrophic"
http://www.theresnothingnew.org/index/Fukushima
"Nils Boehmer, the chief Information officer and a Nuclear Scientist for the Norwegian foundation, Bellona, confirmed that both the US and French intelligence had information from inside Japan within days, that the situation was far worse than was being reported. They recommended that their expatriate citizens evacuate from a much larger radius away from the Fukushima Daichi plant than was being suggested by Japanese officials. “That is how we knew that the situation was much more serious than the media was telling people,” Boehmer added, “Both the U.S. and France have very good intelligence inside Japan and on nuclear issues.”
http://nuclearhistory.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/lying-and-hiding-the-facts-ensure-that-people-distrust-nuclear-industry-and-nuclear-authorities-quite-profoundly/
And yet we now know that the situation was not worse, in fact it was a lot better.
In short Nils is a serial liar working on hbehalf of renewable energy concerns in a deeply alarmist and anti-nuclear stance .
So of couerse, who else is going to be te BBCS 'balanced viewpoint'
It makes you sick.
--
Ineptocracy

Your hypocritical castigation of another for bigotry might have carried some weight if you had been able to justify this assertion stated as if it were fact ...
On Thu, 31 Oct 2013 21:18:12 +0000, The Natural Philosopher