storm reports

Load their knapsacks down with rocks, then.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Spalding/Boston area of Lincolnshire.

This afternoon I drove to Gosberton (8 miles) for a dentist's appointment. I left earlier than usual in case freak weather had brought down trees. Not a single tree, no branches strewn over the roads, zilch.

MM

Reply to
MM

No. I am retired and very comfy in my recliner in front of the telly, thanks.

MM

Reply to
MM

I hail from Hampshire, Sussex, Kent and now Lincolnshire. I've never been anywhere near the North except for one time when I had to visit the German consul to get my application for a German pension countersigned. Oh, does a week in the Lake District count? I hated it. All those steep hills! Wasn't my cup of tea. Wordsworth was welcome to it. As for Preston, jeesh!

MM

Reply to
MM

Nonsense. Mine has kicked in several times, since the power network in rural Lincolnshire is crap. Not this time, though. We didn't get any power outages. No storm, you see.

MM

Reply to
MM

Am I right in thinking that sugar is not permitted on Crunchy Nut Cornflakes? Her indoors gives me a bollocking

Reply to
stuart noble

I have nothing against warnings. What I detest is every ruddy news outlet repeating said warnings every hour, then every half-hour, continuously, for days. It could have been World War Three the way some of those hyper-excitable journos were reporting. In fact WW3 might have happened, but relegated to second spot on the news bulletins as yet another dire weather warning, amber alert, yellow this, red than, blue arrows, red arrows etc etc, took precedence once more.

MM

Reply to
MM

Jesus. They're borderline-inedibly sweet as it is...

Reply to
Adrian

Way beyond borderline! Grossly and utterly inedibly sweet!

Reply to
polygonum

SE Essex: A bit of wind around 6 to 8am, nothing special a few fallen trees. Very soon afterwards a nice pleasant sunny day.

Reply to
alan

In another place, recent discussion has included the cost of railway carriages. You don't need to not break many of them to have a tidy sum saved. Not driving them into trees helps with that.

Reply to
polygonum

3 of the deaths were to people who stayed at home!
Reply to
alan

Laptops have made a big difference - built-in UPS if you look at it one way. One reason I would never go down the "remove battery when not in active use" route often suggested for maximising battery life is precisely this ability to ride out mains problems.

I would have bought a UPS for our router, except the broadband tends to go off at the same time as any power outage so it wouldn't actually help very much!

Reply to
polygonum

Hardly the power station's fault that that part of the grid failed.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

I've thought about that, but without the inverter. You can buy ATX PC PSUs that take a 12V dc input. Monitors that have a 12V dc input with a separate PSU and DC to DC converters for the router and network switch.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Switch to a USB mobile dongle for backup access - as long as the mobile base stations have not lost their wired connections and have backup power.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

A good way to protect your home server from data corruption due to sudden power loss.

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Makes a nice change: I'm sure we'll have (at least) our share of crappy weather soon enough though....

Reply to
GMM

Reply to
Java Jive

Had a message off a mate this pm - he'd had to go nearly 7 miles to get a mobile signal - not exactly way into the sticks - that just about took him to the M25.

Reply to
Adrian