Spots for zone 2?

doing me bathroom up. swmbo wants halogen spots...b&q have some suitable for zone 3...but it looks like i need em for zone 2. am ordering from TLC a pull cord dimmer so would like to order from them. are low voltage spots zone 2 compatible?

Steve

Reply to
r.p.mcmurphy

Most say not but I cannot work out why. I took a typical electronic transformer apart and it seemed adequately insulated. But if you get a proper transformer instead (e.g. Wickes) then I can't see how it won't be compatible.

Reply to
Mike

You ought to get IP65 rated spots:

will resist even direct water jets.

They can go in zone 2 (or Zone 1 even since they meet the regs requirment of SELV and IPX4 or better).

Reply to
John Rumm

Point your shower at it.... if the fitting fills up with water and the bulb goes bang (perhaps even showering you with hot glass in the process), then you can be fairly safe in assuming it was not compatible ;-)

The issue is more one of the fitting being waterproof, rather than the voltage being dangerous. Having said that you may find a good many transformers are not intended to offer any protection from water, so if the fitting lets water past, and you have a local transformer with mains on the other side of it stuck in close proximity to the fitting, then you have a problem with the electrical side as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

But the typical 12volt halogen works underwater - my pond is full of them.

Reply to
Mike