Problems with 12V halogen spots

Rented flat, halogen spots around the place that keep failing. So far we seem to have had a couple where the bulbholder - transformer junction block has melted and a number of transformers fail.

My suspicion is that when the tenants have replaced bulbs they've left the junction/cables too close to the bulb and they've overheated (the idiot who fitted them disposed of the metal brackets intended to prevent this.

There can't be anything wrong in the way they're wired that would cause failure at the transformer or beyond is there? What sort of life to other people get out of 12v transformers?

Reply to
Anthony James

We have a Ring (!) branded electronic lv transformer that's been working fine for the last 3 years. It is in a position where it runs cool though - in a ventilated void space. When it does eventually fail, I'll replace the fittings with mains voltage lamps.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

We had 12 of them installed in our kitchen when we had the house rewired and found odd ones blew at around 2 month intervals, I bought a bulk pack ( idea being to save long term ) of 35watt lamps instead of the 60watt that where fitted, there was very little reduction in light, 4yrs down the line I'm still waiting for one to blow so I can realise my investment in lamps .................

Reply to
Pete Cross

In article , Anthony James writes

This fault is more likely due to a loose wire in the terminal block which starts to arc and then overheats the terminal. The high currents in LV lighting can easily cause this to happen.

Reply to
Tim Mitchell

We have some around the place, the oldest being about 6 years old I guess, never had problem with nay of the transformers

Reply to
chris French

That's certainly a possibility , or it could be that the idiot tenants have fitted too many, over-rated, lamps on each circuit.

As to the lamps blowing, some cheap (B&Q etc.) are dreadful. Try a brand name; I've just change my first Osram in my kitchen that I re-wired 4-5 years ago.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

One toroid DOA. Or very shortly after.

Other 16 toroids and two electronics still going strong, no problems

The key is to buy from reputable electrical factors who sell to big hairy arsed electricians with better things to do than be bad mouthed by THEIR customers, not the local ditz-a-glitz shed...who buys cheap chinese junk and sells it at a 700% markup to compelet idiots, or international men of mystery...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I assume the correct rating of lamp for the transformer output is fitted? ie - not trying to run 3 x 50 watt lamps from a 105 VA transformer, or worse still a 70 VA tranny?

Maybe a daft question, but two lots of friends and my in-laws did this with recessed ceiling fittings and freestanding tower unit respectively. I believe that since places like Tesco have started selling "value" 50 watt lamps at a fraction of the price of 20 and 35 watt lamps this problem will become more common.

Reply to
Doctor D

Does TCL fit into the reputable category? CM.

Reply to
Charles Middleton

I hate my LV lamps. Horrid little things. One has to make compromises when one buys a house, but I didn't really pay enough attention to the LV lights, which are everywhere - in the kitchen, the hall, the landing, downstairs loo and upstairs bathroom, not ever had them before. Although no (more) bulbs have blown yet (there were a couple of duff ones there already when I moved in), I don't like the bright light (like an operating theatre) and the way they 'zoom' up to brightess. I like proper 240 V bulbs that come on immediately.

So, on my list of Things To Do is, rip out these f***ing stupid little lights and replace them with mains ones with nice, pear-shaped bulbs, a ceiling rose and a lampshade. However, due to Part P I'll probably have to pay an electrician a fortune to do the wiring.

Hate 'em, hate 'em, hate 'em! (And replacement bulbs are darned expensive, compared to 18p for SmartPrice proper bulbs.)

MM

Reply to
MM

Luckily not: replacing an existing light fitting with a different one is in the even-a-mortal-may-do-it list in Part P. Unless it's a bathroom or (sop to tragic incident just before Part P went through?) kitchen. Bathroom one can *almost* understand (supp. bonding, enclosed-lampholder preferred, etc.) but no-one will know, or care, if you change your kitchen lights.

Your choice - but lifetime costs are *much* lower for compact flourescents. For lights left on all evening (e.g. hall/corridor), the aneamic light quality may well be worth putting up with for the cost savings...

Reply to
Stefek Zaba

they're 60watt capable individual transformers so 50 watt bulbs (which i think are being used) are fine.

Reply to
b33k34