Spiky burglar deterrent on top of gate - legal?

Which section of Part taking the P does that come under?

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

Only in the long grass so you don't see it until too late _walking perfectly legally along a footpath!_ Grrr... :-(

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

Reply to
Mike

Only next to stiles or other entry points which walkers are allowed to use. Of course most of them can't read a sign, let alone a map, so they do occasionally get a little fried.

Reply to
Mike

Yeah you cant see anything under their hoods these days. pete

Reply to
pete

Yep, that's what I've seen too. Farmer thicker than his pig's shit and no idea where the footpath runs!

Reply to
Andrew Chesters

By stiles and every xxx[1] meters where footpath walks alongside it. There's one farmer used to "accidentally" leave stray live wires across a path to deter walkers so occasional wire cutter wars used to break out. Matters came to a head when the dozy prick wired his repaired fence to the mains and nearly killed himself.

[1] not sure but it seems to be between 50m and ICBA.
Reply to
Chris Street

Shouldn't that be a pig fence?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As you don't seem to have got an actual answer yet....

As long as the spikes are on a fixture over 6ft I can see no legal problems. AFAIAA the reason is that below that height you are liable as children might accidentally hurt themselves. I think it's a Council matter which means it's up to your council to chase it if you naughtily only have a 5'10" gate/fence! I couldn't see the police caring in the slightest, as long as they don't have to climb over it!

Reply to
Steve Frazer

Trespassers are not permanent fittings so you don't need approval to wire them up.

Reply to
Rob Morley

In the days when I was suffering this problem, I discussed the issues with my free legal-advice helpline.

The result was that I applied a layer of waterproofing to all the upper horizontal surfaces of my walls and gates.

The 'waterproofing' was a thick layer of molyslip grease (available from Halfords, ~£3), the black variety.

All the usual suspects tried to get into my garden, but they only tried it once. Those sharp designer clothes and trainers looked a mess afterwards.....

Reply to
Artemis

I've actually been "spiked" by these things. I wash windows for a living. If the customer is out, I sometimes need to lean over a gate (from my ladder) and reach down to undo the bolt. Some tosser fitted stuff like that without pre-warning me and I didn't notice till too late. Needless to say, he didn't remain a customer much longer. Also, there are innocent reasons why someone might want to gain access. It only needs someone playing to kick their ball over the garden and attempt to retrieve it. OK, I know they shouldn't but their intent is hardly criminal. I don't knw exactly how the law stands but IMO there needs to be a warning sign. After all, the intent is to prevent access rather than to hurt (isn't it?).

Of course, there is always the issue of hurting cats too. So they will soon become aware that the fence/gate has spikes but that doesn't help much for the first time. Cats can't read though :-)

Reply to
Paul

Electric fences are required to have warning signs every 100 metres (it might be 90 meters as a metricated 100yds) where they run adjacent to a public highway or right of way. Presumably an electric cow would be regarded as a form of electric fence.

Reply to
usenet

When our youngest was about eight (he's now thirty seven) and we had a heavy snowfall we were walking through a ginnel and throwing snowballs at each other. Because the ground snow was trodden and dirty he ran his hands along the top of a wall to scoop up snow. His hands were cold. They were also red with blood from deep cuts caused by glass shards set in concrete which were hidden by snow. He WAS wearing thick gloves by the way!

Hard cases make bad laws and I'm not suggesting that such deterrents should be banned but genuine accidents can happen and it's a hard lesson for a child or window cleaner - or anyone else. None of our family has harvested snow from walls since.

We have barbed wire at the top of a high fence between neighbours to deter cat and fox predation of our bantams. If the local yoof are damaged by trying to get in I don't care if they bring an action.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

one product you *can* cut with a hacksaw.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

That's why there's the 6 ft rule. At 8 years old he wouldn't have been able to reach the top of a 6 ft wall.

Reply to
Steve Frazer

It's OK if people lawfully passing/entering can't damage themselves or their things, and if it's on your property. To be extra-safe (against a claim for damages) put up a warning sign. That's about it, really. If you want a policeman to tell you about it, call your local police station and ask for a home visit by their Crime Prevention Officer, to advise on security. He'll give his views on windows/locks/gates/ porches/climbable walls/flat roofs/garage, & you can ask him.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You could argue that it is not domestic and hence exempt... to be safe you would probably be better taking an 11kV feed from a nearby overhead supply pole for it, that should cut down on lekky bills as well.

Reply to
John Rumm

They were bluffing

Reply to