Spiky burglar deterrent on top of gate - legal?

I've just installed a side gate, and have added some of this stuff to the top rail in an attempt to deter the local yoof who regard my garden as a public right of way:

doing so, a wandering neighbour approached and said (in his best Harry Elmfield voice), 'ooh, you don't want to do that, mate...' - the concern being that the police would be after me over it if someone damaged themselves. He reckoned it would be OK if I erected a large warning sign on the gate (which TBH I wouldn't want to do for aesthetic reasons).

I don't know if the recent 'clarification' of what householders can now legally do to burglars is relevant; furthermore, this 'prickler' stuff, although quite sharp, isn't like barbed wire or broken-glass-in-cement.

Can anyone comment on its 'legality'?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

a) I wouldn't worry - they deserve what they get, and if they do complain then get on to the Daily Mail! b) It says it's non-lacerating - if it's what I think it is, it hurts but doesn't damage.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Any street wise kid would just put his jacket over it anyhow. pete

Reply to
pete

lad. More effective, cheaper and environmentally sustainable.

john

Reply to
John

In article , Lobster writes

No, but I'd vote for the political party who enshrined it in law that I would NOT be persecuted if I used it to protect me and mine;)....

Reply to
tony sayer

Old carpet grippers. Now they hurt :-) and reuse is even better than recycling.

Reply to
doozer

You take that into account when choosing the voltage to wire it up to ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Legal and sold in B&Q type places. It is designed to inflict enough discomfort to stop an intruder but not to cause an injury.

FR

Reply to
Flying Rat

Police will not be interested - I phoned them at my last house about carpet grippers on top of fence.

They said anyone injuring themselves on it could raise a civil action, but it was not a criminal offence to put it there.

g.

Reply to
Fat Freddy's Cat

Now that would give the little buggers spiky hair;-) pete

Reply to
pete

AFAIAA you can stick razor wire or barbed wire or broken glass along the top of your fence providing it's high enough for people not to accidently harm themselves. I'v got barbed wire along a 8ft wall. Most of my neighbours have broken glass. The businesses at the end of the road all have razor wire or barbed wire coils.

IANAL so I could be wrong but the police have never arrested any of my neighbours yet.

Reply to
Alan G

Fitted carpet gripper rod. Very difficult to see.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On this great dayThu, 10 Mar 2005 19:48:07 +0000, Alan G wrote:

Reply to
Mike

That's what's on the top of my side gate. Cheap and bloody painful to grab hold of. Easy to remove too, should the need arise.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Nope, I tried that about eight years ago and was threatened with a Court Order (by *two* visiting police officers) that would compel me to remove the glass.

Reply to
Chuckles The Scary Clown

How would you tell ;)

Reply to
Alex Threlfall

With fishhooks nailed on for the final touches......

(that's almost certainly illegal btw!)

Reply to
Chris Street

It is sold as non-lacerating. You have no reason to disbelieve that claim, so it entirely reasonable to use it, without any warning notice.

You could also fit a rose arch, covered in something like the Albertine rose, over the gate, to prevent them from having room to climb over.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

"nightjar .uk.com>"

Or if you don't mind having a warning notice, an electrified cow fence makes a nice crackling noise.

Reply to
Mike

Do farmers have to put signs up then?

Reply to