Spammed by Screwfix?

Page 5 of 7

There's no reply button on a letter and left click doesn't seem to affect snail mail either.
Ooops! my mistake, the thread goes back so far I forgot it was a letter and not an email, I stand corrected.
Mike P

up

<snip rant>
And if you post similar rants to this group I'll be sending you my own invoice for bandwidth theft, time and storage.
Deal with your own Spam, don't complain about something you yourself is doing via this group !
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

[SNIP of extremely tedious rant about 2 or 3 unwanted emails]
Get a life you time waster!

snip
I too have bought from screwfix, I too have always opted out of all e-mail offers. I do not need to know about all their special offers, or indeed any of their special offers. I like to buy things to my timescales, not to theirs. I too have started to get spam from screw fix. I too have re -opted out and am still getting the e-mails. To me this is spam. Clearly they have good products and sell them cheaply. Thus they have a good reputation and are liked on this group. It is unfortunate that their unsolicited e-mail policy is so harsh.
To my mind they are spammers. They are sending out e-mails that people do NOT want and have specifically requested to be removed from their database. I do not accept that 3 weeks is an acceptable length of time to get removed from a mailing list in this day of modern technology. I feel that this delay is merely an excuse to allow them to keep on mailing.
Now knowing their spamming policy I would look elsewhere first for what I want before using them, and then using them only if they are significantly cheaper.
That said the OP is going over the top regarding invoicing them and taking them to court. I have better things to do with my life than feeding trolls and spammers. Richard
<snip>

You have a choice, save a few quid and get some spam, or pay a few quid more for a product and get no spam. The choice is yours, as the saying goes - 'There is no such thing as a free lunch'.
On Mon, 08 Dec 2003 21:49:27 +0000, Richard wrote:

It might also illegal. About the one thing that the Data Protection Act does actually forbid is the use of personal data for Direct Marketing when you have informed the company concerned not to use the data for that purpose.
11. - (1) An individual is entitled at any time by notice in writing to a data controller to require the data controller at the end of such period as is reasonable in the circumstances to cease, or not to begin, processing for the purposes of direct marketing personal data in respect of which he is the data subject.
(3) In this section "direct marketing" means the communication (by whatever means) of any advertising or marketing material which is directed to particular individuals.
The crucial question is what "such period as is reasonable in the circumstances" might mean. And you can't pick and choose about the type of direct marketing it would seem. If you're happy to receive catalogues from them then you're accepting that they can use the data for direct marketing.
Chris Ward.
"Chris Ward" wrote | It might also illegal. About the one thing that the Data Protection Act | does actually forbid is the use of personal data for Direct Marketing | when you have informed the company concerned not to use the data for | that purpose. ... | The crucial question is what "such period as is reasonable in the | circumstances" might mean. And you can't pick and choose about the | type of direct marketing it would seem. If you're happy to receive | catalogues from them then you're accepting that they can use the | data for direct marketing.
But the personal data required for postal marketing is different from that required for email marketing, so you could consent to your postal address being used for marketing, but not consent to your email addr or telephone being used for this purpose.
Owain
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 12:21:50 +0000, Owain wrote:

You might be right, but I can't find anything in the Data Protection Act that separates data into separate categories as you suggest, except for "sensitive" data; for example information about the health of a data subject.
Chris Ward.

I'm slightly confused here. Screwfix only really do mail order, so without an up to date catalogue, I'm not sure how you'd deal with them easily? And surely the same applies to fliers or e-mails with special offers etc?
Personally, I've no objection to e-mail 'fliers' from companies I deal with, and will indeed sometimes even take advantage of the offers.
Spam, to me, is completely unsolicited e-mail from someone I've had no dealings with or likely to have.
--
*Pentium wise, pen and paper foolish *

I have a catalogue collection to select my purchases. I specifically selected "No email contact" on the initial webpages. That setting was ignored. The reson no contact is wanted is that the email facility is exclusively for customer contact and I know that I have accidentally lost enquiries in the murk of general spam.

I have no objection if they have been requested. To ride roughshod over the customer's instruction is not on.

Fair enough, but spam is unsolicited email, regardless of an existing relationship if no prior consent has been given.
Well said Dave, I'll second that.
Mike P.

Second what? It's conventional to quote some of the post you're replying to, so as to provide context.
What's up, can't you work out that I was referring to the sub-thread directly above me?, just like this one!
Mike P.

Not everyone uses the same kind of newsreader you do. Not everyone reads news the same way you do. Not everyone has their newsreader configured the same way you do.
Please include some appropriately quoted and located context.
But Nigel Tomlinson nor yourself referred to the quote in the original message of this sub thread or for that matter the subject of the whole post.
Don't worry about it, life is too short.
Mike P.

Not all newsreaders support threading, and not all like using it.

--
*Go the extra mile. It makes your boss look like an incompetent slacker *

If they don't know what the subject matter for the post & thread is about then don't pass comments.
Life sucks eh!
Mike P.

You carry on being the odd one out. Do you drive on the right hand side of the road too?
--
*Remember, no-one is listening until you fart.*

This really gets up your nose doesn't it.
Mike P.