Spammed by Screwfix?

What people put in their sigs is irrelevant. Providing they are properly formed, they can put what they like.

Reply to
Huge

Since I am on the TPS, I report them.

Reply to
Huge

Wrong.

The advert is paid for and supports the paper. Without it, the paper may not exist. (Ditto, BTW, snail mail spam).

OTOH, email spam is paid for by the recipient. How would you like to get Xmas catalogues sent to you snail mail with postage owing? Because that's what spam is.

Reply to
Huge

At the moment we are having to turn business away sadly. I have another two vans / engineers over last year and we still can't cope! Sky digital is only a small part of the business though.

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)

Sure. As long as they pay for transmitting it. I like getting the catalogue in the post. Would I like getting it if it came postage owing? Damn, no.

Reply to
Huge

Who do you think ultimately pays for the postage? (and carting all the non-recycled catalogues away)

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Screwfix's customers. I can choose not to be a customer. I can't choose not to receive spam.

Look, I get between 700 and 1000 spams a day. Nobody, but *nobody* is going to convince me that this is anything but evil. Spammers are thieving scum who should be flayed alive and boiled in brine made from their own urine, while they watch their houses being burned down with their families inside.

Reply to
Huge

It's not very different here. But if you took out all the ones that I could never be a customer of (US mortgages etc), all the ones I am never likely to be a customer of (breast enlargement, get rich quick etc) all the ones from unknown sources, and all the ones from firms I have never been a customer of 99% of them would disappear. The problem is not with bona fide companies whose emails display genuine contact details.

The attitude here IMHO is the same as with speed cameras. Catching genuinely unsafe drivers is hard work. So we leave them to it and go for the easy pickings. You can bet your life that the people most likely to fall foul of new anti-spam laws are not those who generate most of the spam you and I get.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

The other day I telephone ordered some items (cc purchase) from a firm and they wanted my phone number. I gave them only my disposable mobile number. They rang back a week later saying the order had arrived but on their bank's instructions, they wouldn't despatch them without a landline number. I said that company policy was absolutely not to give them a landline number - even if (for the sake of argument) there was one.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

If you are on the national register, they are illegal under EU law. I invariably sick the Information Commissioner (who is the enforcement authority) on them.

Reply to
Simon Gardner

But AJL is advertising just like Screwfix, but unlike Screwfix who he is subscribed to by virtue of purchasing from them we on the newsgroup have to put up with AJL's spams (advert for his web sites) every time he replies to a post in this thread!.

Mike P.

Reply to
Mike P

Mike P stated > You would just have to wait until they send you an updated hardcopy catalogue through the post, say every 3 months?

AJL replied >> Which now get returned with a note that we don't deal with spammers.

SO now you also tell us that you send the hardcopy catalogues back to the senders, this just gets better!.

Tell me, when you send out leaflets, paper adverts, radio adverts and if you reach the dizzy heights of success TV adverts will you expect the public to send them all back to you, because those people did not ask for them, hey they might send YOU a bill for wasting THEIR time!.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

[snip]

Was it really worth posting *18* posts on this subject compared to the 1 second it takes to hit delete on a piece of unwanted email? As Dave said, at least it was from a company you use.

Reply to
Scott M

Bet you a tenner it is snipped-for-privacy@screwfix.com . That's the way a lot of major companies set up their addresses

Reply to
Suz

Don't need his email address if you click 'reply', or you could look it up on the proterties!.

Mike P.

Reply to
Mike P

Oh, the irony.

Reply to
Huge

Rubbish. Spam is spam.

You are a drooling retard.

*plonk*
Reply to
Huge

Don't forget gun control and abortion.

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet

You probably don't have the time.

Reply to
Dougie Nisbet

There's no reply button on a letter and left click doesn't seem to affect snail mail either.

Reply to
Suz