Spammed by Screwfix?

Page 2 of 7
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 15:53:05 UTC, "Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)"

To be more accurate, it is supposed to snip the delimiter and anything after it. But not for display...for followups.
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
βœ–

Yes you are quite right. Thanks for the expansion.
βœ–
On Mon, 8 Dec 2003 15:42:44 +0000 (UTC), "Mike P"

No, it's part of a valid sig.

That much is acceptable and it may be useful to the group.
DG
Add pictures here
βœ–

But isn't the information Screwfix sends out to their existing customers concidered useful?, I think so!.
After starting the debate do you honestly think that AJL is going to throw his Screwfix catalogue in the bin and rip the arms of his teddy bear, nah!
I wonder how the prices for TV/Sky accessories on his site compare to Screwfix, does he sell 10 x Female connectors for £1.20, if it didn't take so long to open the pages on his site (yawn) I might be able to tell you.
Spam rhymes with Scam, he might be touting for sales by trying to put us off Screwfix.
Mike P
Add pictures here
βœ–

off
Not to mention the fact that clicking on his 'Sky' button on this site seems to put me into an infinite error loop. I keep seeing "Web site found. Waiting for reply" and something like www.ajelectronics.co.uk/error.html flashing up repeatedly in the Status Bar - so fast I can't really make out the 3rd message that's coming up. After 2 minutes of waiting (on broadband) I think it just means it's broken.
βœ–

Thanks for that. Must be something in the translation of URLs as I am hosted now rather than redirected. It's time I sorted the site out, but this time of the year it isn't really possible.
βœ–

seems
hosted
Yeah, I'd imagine that there's lots of people wanting to get Sky etc installed ready for Christmas!
:)
βœ–

At the moment we are having to turn business away sadly. I have another two vans / engineers over last year and we still can't cope! Sky digital is only a small part of the business though.
βœ–
On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 09:36:04 +0000, Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics) wrote:

You probably don't have the time.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Too busy worrying about spam ? ;-)
Steve
Add pictures here
βœ–

Sure. As long as they pay for transmitting it. I like getting the catalogue in the post. Would I like getting it if it came postage owing? Damn, no.
βœ–

Who do you think ultimately pays for the postage? (and carting all the non-recycled catalogues away)
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
βœ–

Screwfix's customers. I can choose not to be a customer. I can't choose not to receive spam.
Look, I get between 700 and 1000 spams a day. Nobody, but *nobody* is going to convince me that this is anything but evil. Spammers are thieving scum who should be flayed alive and boiled in brine made from their own urine, while they watch their houses being burned down with their families inside.
βœ–

It's not very different here. But if you took out all the ones that I could never be a customer of (US mortgages etc), all the ones I am never likely to be a customer of (breast enlargement, get rich quick etc) all the ones from unknown sources, and all the ones from firms I have never been a customer of 99% of them would disappear. The problem is not with bona fide companies whose emails display genuine contact details.
The attitude here IMHO is the same as with speed cameras. Catching genuinely unsafe drivers is hard work. So we leave them to it and go for the easy pickings. You can bet your life that the people most likely to fall foul of new anti-spam laws are not those who generate most of the spam you and I get.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
βœ–

Rubbish. Spam is spam.

You are a drooling retard.
*plonk*
βœ–
Huge wrote:

True - but there in resides the difficulty - as this thread illustrates, many of us have slight variations in *our* definitions of spam...
Clasification of the obvious stuff (pils, enlargement/reduction of body parts, phishing, hot young teens, 419 etc) is easy and most people agree.
Personally I don't class email from the likes of Screwfix or other companies that I have an ongoing commercial relationship with as spam. Obviously some people do.
(If I ask them to stop sending email - and they fail to do so after a reasonable period - then I may class it as spam).
I suspect that if we could deal with the stuff that is universally thought of as spam - the slightly grey area commercial email left would be far less of an issue.
--
Cheers,

John.

βœ–

[11 lines snipped]

Indeed. In fact, Screwfix *will* stop if asked, which distinguishes them from our friends with the small manhoods.
βœ–

No, the difference is that if Screwfix (or other reputable company) send me an email they send *me* *one*, and then probably once a month at most. The spameisters blast them out to valid and invalid addresses alike: generally three or four identical ones end up on my machine and they are only the ones I actually see. I did have my mail configured to bounce all invalid @sda.co.uk mails (mainly to put customers who had entered a typo like snipped-for-privacy@sda.co.uk on notice that they had done something wrong) but my ISP asked me to change this as the bounces were overloading their mail server - probably because having a three letter domain (all three letter combinations are valid AIUI) people go for dictionary attacks. Now of course because they are blackholed rather than bounced the senders will assume they are valid addresses. I have no idea how much traffic is generated this way but this is the problem, not the likes of Screwfix.
And perhaps I am "a drooling retard" but my own guess is that anti-spam laws are likely to be as effective against the people who mass mail this stuff as speed cameras are against really dangerous drivers and Part P will be against the real cowboy electricians.
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
βœ–
Oh look everybody "Huge" has *plonked* Tony.
Oh the shame, how could you do such a thing, life just isn't worth it if "Huge" isn't reading Tony's posts.
Like anyone's bothered!
Read my lips "get a like" plonker.
Mike P.
Add pictures here
βœ–

I think we all know who needs to get a life...........
--
Chris French, Leeds

Add pictures here
βœ–