Sockets and RCDs

I'm wiring a 2nd floor flat, its unlilely that any of the sockets will be used to supply eqipment outside. So I think as far as the regs are concerened I don't need to use an RCD to protect the sockets on the ring circuits. However It seems to be that it would increase the safety of the installation if I did use RCDs on the power circuits. Any thoughs?

Reply to
Welsh Bob

RCDs are not only a good idea for outside, but for example, people taking radios into the bathroom on an extension flex, dropping kitchen appliences into the full sink, pets/children chewing cords, DIY accidents with mains cables, ...

Reply to
Ian Stirling

On 22 Apr 2004 05:46:57 -0700, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Welsh Bob) strung together this:

Correct, you only need RCD protection on sockets that are reasonably expected to supply power to portable equipment used outdoors. In your situation just one socket with RCD protection built in by the door would cover that.

It's entirely up to yourself, if the installation is sound and safe then there would be no problem using sockets with no RCD protection. I personally wouldn't (and don't, in my own house) use an RCD for upstairs sockets but I'm sure most will disagree with me. If you like the idea of having earth fault protection then put one in, as you say it is safer, but not required in you case.

Reply to
Lurch

installation

Yes, do it. But make sure you have a non-RCD socket for your fridge/freezer. Also, ensure you don't RCD protect the lights or any alarm systems. (Even these may require a 100mA time delay RCD if there is TT earthing).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle