Singer Sewing Machine Company

We have an old Singer sewing machine, that has been in storage for many years, having had minimal use. When I dug it out, it had no power cable, nor instruction book, but looks in good condition, so I went online to Singer to order these parts, and a Service kit. The Manual cost nearly =C2=A311! The manual and the cable arrived today. The manual is a photocopy, and the important page showing the thread path looks as though somebody has gone mad with the Tipp-Exx. I had looked for a foot control when ordering, but there was none, but the cable has a pair of wire pigtails ready for one. My complaint brought the response that that is the only manual available, with no response as to its quality, and a note that they do not accept returns on mail-order books, and they gave me a link to the necessary foot pedal, which is not mentioned on the pages of accessories. All in all, I am pissed off with them as a company. Are there any other similar experiences with them, or am I just having a bad time?

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

Subject to certain criteria, they HAVE to accept returns on mail order items within 7 days because of the distance selling laws.

Reply to
2BSur2Bsur

the days when they were precision made machines are long gone.

Ebay for parts or search online for manuals.

I am in the habit of photographing or scanning anything that comes with a piece of kit these days..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Manuals for nearly all sewing machines are free online. I've not dealt with Singer, they were a quality manufacturer in the 1800s, but lets face it, they're a long way from the best when it comes to domestic machines now, so I'd expect more cheap than anything great.

If the lead isn't what you understood you were getting you can insist on a refund. You can with all of it under the DSR, but that doesnt mean companies will play ball on items that can be copied and returned. A refund by the CC company might be an option if that's the path you want to take.

NT

Reply to
NT

Well you can have my wrought Iron treadle model, no electric, great control etc, all for nowt, just pick it up.. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

I think you could argue that its not exactly good enough to do the work with so I imagine they would refund grudgingly. Who owns Singer these days?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Blimey. those are worth a huge amount.

Especially in africa.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It turns out that the company is not Singer, but a different company, calling itself Singermachines.co.uk. They insist that the bad quality of the print is good quality. Luckily, with the written description, I can deduce all that I need from the manual. I think I will keep arguing with them until one of us gives up, I can keep it going as long as they wish. At the moment, they still owe me the service kit, which was back-ordered. I wonder how long that will take to arrive. As for the foot pedal, I still don't see it on the pages of accessories for the model in question, they say it's there. I did understand when ordering that it may not have been part of the cable, but it was not offered as a separate item. I need a good argument!

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

You might want to try downloading the manual online if your model is listed. Here are two links, one you have been to but possibly did not know they offer free manuals online.

possibly your model is listed at this web site

sites seem to offer free manuals in PDF format.

Reply to
GlowingBlueMist

I remember reading a number of years ago, that the molds(?) for casting those old treadle machines were sold to a Chinese firm, who've been producing them for the third-world market.

Reply to
S Viemeister

If its not Singer, the real Signer might be interested in the use of their trademark

NT

Reply to
NT

IIRC I got the manual for my machine free as a download from the real Singer. (singer.com).

And mine is as old as Brian's. A model 66, pre WW2. Unlike many modern machines it will sew jeans. Since I use it about twice a year it will last for ever!

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

In message , Brian Gaff writes

Ooh - always wanted one of those

Reply to
geoff

SVP

Named after Singer Viking (Husqvarna) Pfaff.

like there are very few significant sewing machine companies now - Brother, Janome, Elna and SVP is about all I can find (other than no-name Chinese).

Reply to
polygonum

As you say, been there, and they don't offer my model for free! They charge for it, after all.

But thanks anyway.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

They said that they are a reseller, or something, and get their stuff from Singer, and if that's true, some deal must have been done. Maybe they are a spin-off.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey

I couldn't find the right area on singer.com, but I have sent them a query message, so we will see what transpires.

Reply to
Davey

But here they're worth nothing, and shipping them to Africa isnt cheap. I did come across some charity doing so though.

NT

Reply to
NT

I'm far from convinced.

NT

Reply to
NT

They certainly don't behave like a 'proper' company. Here is what they said: "Let me explain that we are only a dealer for Singer and these books come direct from them in the best format they have,..."

I emailed Singer, and they responded with only a suggestion to call their bookshop to see if they had a copy, no hint of any concern about the Singermachines Co, so it's probably above board.

--=20 Davey.

Reply to
Davey